Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo feels unable to celebrate his fourth Ballon d’Or award as much as his previous triumphs due to recent allegations of tax evasion.The European Investigative Collaborations (EIC) media consortium reported in early December that Ronaldo, and several other clients of soccer agency Gestifute, had used tax havens to handle tens of millions of euros in earnings.Gestifute denied the accusations last week. (Also read: Cristiano Ronaldo wins Ballon d’Or award for the fourth time)Ronaldo, who led Portugal to the Euro 2016 title in July after helping Real Madrid clinch the Champions League, expressed his disappointment at the timing of the charges against him.”Of course it (allegations) has spoiled it a little bit. I would be lying if I said it hadn’t. I’m not a hypocrite,” he told soccer magazine France Football.”I wasn’t pleased. The whole process in itself is hard and not only for me, but also for the people alongside me: my family, my son, all those who work with me.”All that irritates me because I try to do things correctly, be transparent.”In their denial, Gestifute stated that Ronaldo, who moved to Real Madrid from Manchester United in 2009, is compliant with his tax obligations in Spain. (Also read: Cristiano Ronaldo accused of hiding money in tax havens)The 31-year-old Ronaldo, who beat Barcelona forward Lionel Messi and Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann to world football’s top individual prize for 2016 at a glitzy ceremony on Monday, insists he has nothing to hide.advertisement”You just have to type ‘Cristiano Ronaldo’ on the Internet and you know everything about me,” the Portugal captain said. “I don’t have any reason to lie.”What came out troubles me. Because it’s not true. The lie is troubling. I have done things correctly.”There are a lot of innocent people in prison. And I feel a little bit like that. You know you have done nothing wrong, and they say you have done something reprehensible. No one likes that.”But the truth always comes out. Sooner or later.”Ronaldo, who previously won the Ballon d’Or in 2008, 2013 and 2014, is currently with Real Madrid in Japan preparing for Thursday’s Club World Cup semi-final against Mexican side Club America.
Minister of Health, Dr. the Hon. Christopher Tufton, is hailing the success of the Public-Private Sector Pharmacy Partner Programme, under which nearly 100,000 prescriptions have already been processed.The Minister said the Government is satisfied that the programme is working and that the public is being served in an efficient manner where “the benefits are tremendous.”“Gone are the days when people would have to wait for a long time and the National Health Fund (NHF) must be commended. The real benefits for us are the benefits to the people,” he added.Dr. Tufton was delivering the main address at the launch of the programme at the Camdex Pharmacy in Green Island, Hanover, recently.Under the programme, piloted by the NHF in 2016, private sector pharmacies fill prescriptions for public sector patients, in an attempt to reduce waiting time at facilities at public hospitals and clinics.“The purpose of this programme when it was conceptualised and developed, was very simple. We needed to find a quicker and easier way for patients to get their medication. Patients were waiting too long…we used to hear about two and three-hour waits,” Dr. Tufton noted.He said that the decision was taken to select pharmacies for the programme based on where the needs existed and also in terms of proximity to a hospital.“We felt that it was an obligation we had in public health…to demonstrate our commitment to providing a service with compassion and empathy in recognition that people, who go to the doctor, are sick, and need to be provided with service as quickly as possible,” he added.The Minister noted that while patients are asked to pay a small fee to offset processing costs, the feedback from patients is that they do not mind paying for the convenience of faster access to their medication.Pharmacies in Kingston, Clarendon, St. James, and Hanover have so far partnered with the Ministry, through the NHF, on the initiative.
Wolves defender Jonathan Castro sustained a knee ligament damage during Spain’s 1-0 friendly win against Bosnia on Sunday and is set to miss up to six weeks.Chelsea defender Cesar Azpilicueta came on in the 51st minute to replace Castro after he collided with Mo Besic during Spain’s friendly match against Bosnia & Herzegovina at the Gran Canaria Stadium on Sunday evening.The 24-year-old was later seen leaving the stadium on crutches and his MRI scan results came in on Monday morning.According to Sky Sports, the Spanish national team then released a statement: “[He] has suffered a partial tear of the internal lateral ligament of his knee. His estimated timeout is five to six weeks.”Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.Castro, a loanee from Atletico Madrid could be laid off for a lengthy period of time and will likely miss the busy Christmas and New Year English fixtures, which includes Wolves matches against Chelsea, Liverpool, and Tottenham.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Defense installations are dealing with a variety of transportation issues inside and outside their gates, including the lack of adequate parking facilities and congested road networks, according to the report accompanying the fiscal 2019 military construction and Veterans Affairs spending bill the House Appropriations Committee approved last week.“[Parking] deficiencies can contribute to traffic congestion and are serious problems on base,” the committee stated. “The committee is concerned that the department does not have a coherent strategy to address the growing parking requirements at installations that have seen significant growth.” The report cites mission growth at Fort Meade, Md., over the past decade as the reason parking has become “a serious issue” at the post.The combination of insufficient parking and “inadequate local, state and federal roads” are causing delays for civilians and military members working at critical locations, such as the National Security Agency and U.S. Cyber Command, according to the report. The committee also underscores its concern that many of the Army’s access control points need to be modernized to maintain security while improving traffic flow, even as the department has made significant progress upgrading entry points since Sept. 11, 2001. The office of the secretary of defense is conducting a risk assessment of certain access control points and preparing a plan to update those facilities, the lawmakers note.The committee directs DOD to submit with its FY 2020 military construction budget request an updated list of unfunded requirements for parking facilities, access control points and road construction at DOD facilities that have serious parking, access and road congestion issues. DOD also should submit with its FY 2020 budget request, a list of how those requirements will be incorporated into their construction requests for FY 2020-2024. In addition, the lawmakers ask for a report describing the locations where traffic congestion and insufficient parking facilities potentially impact the performance of national security missions, and outlining detailed plans to mitigate potential impacts.The milcon spending bill includes $50 million in the construction accounts for each service to alleviate deficiencies in access control points, air traffic control towers, fire stations and antiterrorism/force protection deficiencies across their installations, according to the report.
Kolkata: A school student committed suicide at Sonarpur in South 24-Parganas after her lover refused to marry her. Later, the deceased’s family lodged a complaint against the youth with whom the girl was in a relationship. On the basis of the complaint the youth was arrested.According to the sources, the deceased was a student of class IX. She used to reside in the Bhowmik Park area of Sonarpur. In the last two years, she had developed a close relationship with her neighbour Surajit Naia. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life During their relationship Naia got physical with her with a promise to get married in future. As Naia had no earning and left his studies, the girl used to tell him to work and earn. Despite repeated interaction in this regard, Naia did not bother to hear her words. A few months ago, she asked Naia to marry her. But Naia instantly refused her marriage proposal and stopped all sorts of communication with the deceased. Thus, the girl got depressed. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedSources informed that following this incident, she slowly stopped interacting with people and confined herself. On Saturday night, she consumed some poison. Her family members found her inside a room in an unconscious state. She was immediately rushed to Subhashgram hospital. As her health condition deteriorated, she was shifted to M R Bangur hospital where she died on Sunday. After cremation process her family members lodged a complaint against Naia with Sonarpur police station on Tuesday. He was arrested promptly on the same night.
Apeejay School, Noida is committed to the quality education of global standards leading to man- making and nation building, under the able and dynamic leadership of Sushma Paul Berlia. Berlia is the Chairperson of Apeejay Education Society (AES), which has a rich legacy of over five decades of excellence in education.With such lofty ideals as guiding principles, the students of Apeejay School presented a Nukkad Natak on the topic ‘Polythene se Azadi’ during the Delhi Book Fair 2018, August 31, in the foyer of Hall No. 7 at Pragati Maidan. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfThe presentation, with over 25 participants, sensitized the audience about the vicious menace of polythene and plastic. The impactful performance was further energized by the enthusiastic and youthful troupe through powerful lines and lyrics. The pertinent message about polythene which has been identified as a bane to the ecology and environment was clearly conveyed through this nukkad natak. The performers relied on their effective body language and powerful voices to leave an indelible impression on the spectators.Apeejay School Noida was grateful to ITPO for providing them a platform and all possible support to convey this social message. The students received a great deal of appreciation and applause from the audience and felt encouraged for being a part of an important social cause that needs to be addressed with immediacy.
December 13, 2013 There’s a lot of snickering on Twitter today about a Bloomberg poll that showed “just” 42 percent of people surveyed nationally correctly knew Bitcoin was a virtual currency. In fact, 6 percent of respondents thought it was an Xbox game or an iPhone app.To wit…New poll shows 6% of Americans think #Bitcoin is an Xbox game, another 6% think it’s an iPhone app: http://t.co/bNqhdNqJCU (@TheAtlantic)— Yahoo Finance (@YahooFinance) December 13, 2013and…Not everyone is on the bitcoin bandwagon. In a recent poll, 6 percent thought bitcoin = Xbox game. via @TheAtlantic http://t.co/68ZzssCMkY— Susan Orr (@SusanOrr) December 13, 2013But, hold on. Isn’t the fact that 42 percent of people know what this new, still-emerging and admittedly little understood currency is cause for praise, not worry?A 42-percent recognition rate is pretty high, considering the novelty of Bitcoin. Hell, Americans are notoriously short on information, despite the proliferation of devices and data at their fingertips. In 2011, Newsweek had Americans take the test that immigrants undergo as part of citizenship. Twenty-nine percent didn’t know the name of our vice president. Forty-four percent didn’t know what the Bill of Rights is. As the Supreme Court was deciding whether Obamacare was actually constitutional, FindLaw.com polled Americans and found that only 34 percent of citizens could name even one member of the high court. But why do people think it might be an iPhone app or a video game? Well, because there were only three options in the poll, which talked with 1,004 American adults, over age 18. The first was virtual currency, the last was “not sure,” and the two others were — wait for it — an Xbox game and an iPhone app. So, it’s not that people actually think it’s a game or phone. They really don’t know, and, presumably, didn’t want to admit that so they checked the box on something plausible. (It is a sad trait that we humans tend to hide our ignorance, rather than try to eradicate it through education.)So, instead of snark, the backers of Bitcoin should be throwing confetti. We know who you are, at least as much as we know Joe Biden. Free Webinar | Sept 5: Tips and Tools for Making Progress Toward Important Goals Attend this free webinar and learn how you can maximize efficiency while getting the most critical things done right. 2 min read Register Now »