Willow FiddlerAPTN NewsA 15-year-old male from Thunder Bay has been charged with assault and will full promotion of hatred after an assault.The charges come after an incident was recorded and posted on social media earlier this month.The cell phone video shows a male striking a female on the street.Police have confirmed she was a First Nation [email protected]@willowblasizzo
SUSSEX, N.B. – Nutrien Inc. says it has permanently closed its New Brunswick potash facility after putting the operation on care and maintenance in early 2016.The company says it will take a US$1.8-billion impairment charge in the third quarter due to the closure.It says the decision to close the facility reflects the company’s ability to increase potash production at a significantly lower cost than resuming operations in New Brunswick.Nutrien, then known as the Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan before a merger, shut down its Picadilly mine near Sussex, N.B., at a loss of about 430 jobs close to three years ago to focus on its lower-cost operations in Saskatchewan.The news was a shock at the time for the town of 4,300 after Potash Corp. had spent around $2 billion and six years building the facility.The company said at the time that the closure would save it upwards of US$50 million a year amid a weak market for the fertilizer.Potash Corp. announced a merger with fellow fertilizer company Agrium Inc. later in 2016, creating more combined supply within a single company.Companies in this story: (TSX:NTR)
PARIS — The Latest on the unrest in France (all times local):10 a.m.France’s Interior Ministry says 1,220 people were taken into custody around France during the latest yellow vest protests — a roundup the scale of which the country hasn’t seen in years.Police frisked protesters Saturday at train stations around the country, confiscating everything from heavy metal petanque balls to tennis rackets — anything that could remotely be used as a weapon.The Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum reopened Sunday after closing amid Saturday’s rioting. Shops assessed looting damage Sunday and cleared out broken glass, after shutting down on Saturday at the height of the holiday shopping season.Fierce winds and rain pummeled Paris overnight, complicating the effort to clean up Sunday. Used tear gas canister lids lay scattered on the cobblestones of the Champs-Elysees.In the melee Saturday, protesters had ripped off the plywood protecting Parisian store windows and threw flares and other projectiles. French riot police repeatedly repelled them with tear gas and water cannon.___8 a.m.Paris monuments reopened, cleanup workers cleared debris and shop owners tried to put the city on its feet again Sunday, a day after running battles between yellow-vested protesters and riot police left 71 injured and caused widespread damage to the French capital.The man who unleashed the anger, President Emmanuel Macron, broke his silence to tweet his appreciation for the police overnight, but pressure mounted on him to propose new solutions to calm the anger dividing France.The number of injured in Paris and nationwide was down Saturday from protest riots a week ago, and most of the capital remained untouched, but the violence in neighbourhoods popular with tourists is tarnishing the country’s image.Exceptional police deployment failed to deter determined protesters, and some 125,000 took to the streets Saturday around France with a bevy of ever-expanding demands related to the country’s high living costs.Police and protesters also clashed in other French cities, notably Marseille, Toulouse and Bordeaux, and in neighbouring Belgium. Some protesters took aim at the French border with Italy. Some 135 people were injured nationwide, including the 71 in Paris.Saturday’s protests were a direct blow to Macron, who made a stunning decision last week to abandon the fuel tax rise that initially prompted the protest movement a month ago. His turnaround damaged his credibility with climate defenders and foreign investors — yet did nothing to cool tempers of the “gilets jaunes,” the nickname for the crowds wearing the fluorescent yellow vests that all French motorists must keep in the cars.The disparate movement now has other demands, from taxing the rich to raising the minimum wage and Macron’s resignation.The Associated Press
New Delhi: The Income Tax Department Tuesday searched a dozen properties in Delhi and Lucknow linked to a retired IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, who served in top positions during Mayawati’s chief ministership, in connection with an alleged tax evasion case, officials said. They said the premises raided by the department are linked to 1979-batch Indian Administrative Service officer Net Ram, now retired.The department is looking at instances of alleged tax evasion by making bogus entries of transactions or businesses worth Rs 90 crore. The raids could be linked to a case of suspected cash deposits made post-demonetisation.
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday stayed an order of the Central Information Commission which held that Electronic Voting Machines (EVMs) fall within the definition of ‘information’ under the RTI Act.Justice V K Rao sought response of the CIC and an applicant, who had sought access to an EVM maintained by the Election Commission (EC) under the Right to Information Act, on a plea filed by the poll panel. EC has filed petition challenging CIC’s February 12 order holding that the EVM, which is available with the EC in a material form and also as samples, is an information under the RTI Act. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’Senior advocate Sandeep Sethi and advocate Sidhant Kumar, representing the EC, said that EVM does not fall under the scope of the RTI Act which is primarily concerned with documentary records and representative models. “The EVMs maintained by the petitioner (EC) are utilised in the conduct of elections all over the country in accordance with law. Further, the petitioner also maintains a small number of EVMs for the purposes of training of election officials and use in awareness programmes under the strict supervision of the petitioner. It is further submitted that the petitioner does not maintain any EVM in sample or model form,” the poll panel said in its plea filed before the high court. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KIt said all EVMs are securely stored in accordance with the manual on EVMs issued by the EC and the Representation of People Act. The CIC’s order had come on a plea by Rajasthan resident Razaak K Haidar who had said that as per Section 2(f) and 2(i) of the RTI Act, the definition of ‘information’ and ‘record’ also includes ‘any model or any sample’ held by a public authority. He had initially filed an application with the Central Public Information Officer designated by ECI seeking access to an EVM maintained by the poll panel. It was rejected, after which Haidar filed an appeal before the Appellate Authority which also reiterated that the request is beyond the scope of RTI Act. Thereafter, he approached the CIC with the same plea. Section 2(f) of the RTI Act defines ‘Information’ as any material in any form, including records, documents… material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a authority.
New Delhi: The Economic Offences Wing of Delhi Police on Tuesday registered an FIR against a private school in West Delhi on a series of fraud and misappropriation charges based on the complaint of a whistle-blower working within the school’s management. In the complaint, the whistle-blower accused top brass of the school’s management of serious offences such as fraud, misappropriation of funds, and mismanagement of the school. The complainant found out about the sorry state of affairs at the school after he was apprised about a loan application that it was submitting to a private financial services company. When he tried to look into the school’s accounts to check if it was the right move, the complainant was not allowed to make an assessment of the school’s financial state. In FIR, the whistle-blower alleged that school management has deliberately forged entries in the accounts books, illegally showing deflated numbers of students and fees received from them. The complainant added that there are large gaps in the financial records of the private school, which show that some members of the school management are trying to find ways to gain personal gratification, through a web of deception.
Patna: Six additional judges were on Monday sworn in as permanent judges of the Patna High Court. With the six judges becoming permanent, the strength of judges in the Patna High Court has increased to 27 out of 53 sanctioned posts. Patna High Court Chief Justice Justice A P Sahi administered the oath to six additional judges as permanent judges at a function held at marble hall of the high court. The six additional judges who took oath as permanent judges are – Justice Anil Kumar Upadhyay, Justice Rajeev Ranjan Prasad, Justice Sanjay Kumar, Justice Madhuresh Prasad, Justice Mohit Kumar Shah and Justice Prakash Chandra Jaiswal. All the six were appointed as additional judges for two years in May 2017. On April 6, 2019, the Ministry of Law and Justice had issued a notification for their appointment as permanent judges.
The NCAA might have hit the Ohio State football program with a one-year bowl ban and cut nine scholarships over three years, but it hasn’t affected the school’s recruiting. According to recruiting experts, no OSU football recruits have indicated they are thinking about switching their commitment. In fact, the opposite is true. “In actuality, we surveyed most of the commitments that they have and basically it was almost unanimous that they’re going to stick with their commitments to Ohio State,” said Steve Helwagen, managing editor of Bucknuts.com. “I don’t think anybody is planning to back out.” Kevin Noon, managing editor for BuckeyeGrove.com, said he has also spoken to many of OSU’s recruits and doesn’t foresee any problems. “We’ve spoken to a lot of the big names of the class and they’ve all said that they want to sign with the Buckeyes,” Noon said. “They’re still excited about their opportunity to be part of the Buckeyes.” The bowl ban will affect OSU after the 2012 regular season, which would be the freshman year for the incoming recruits. Typically, most freshman at OSU don’t play a large role on the field. “They’re probably going to be backups if they don’t redshirt,” Helwagen said. “For those guys, to miss a bowl game, they don’t figure to be frontline players. It’s probably not that big of an issue.” But the bowl ban is something that many didn’t expect. OSU athletic director Gene Smith repeatedly said he didn’t think a bowl ban was likely and said he was “surprised” when the NCAA Committee of Infractions announced their decision Tuesday. When new head coach Urban Meyer first took the job at OSU, he indicated that he didn’t expect a bowl ban either. Helwagen and Noon said recruits were probably being told not to expect a harsh decision. “When they hired Urban Meyer, he said that Gene Smith and Gordon Gee told him that they didn’t think a bowl ban was in the cards,” Helwagen said. “I think Urban Meyer was telling recruits what he was being told … (the ban) couldn’t have been unforeseen because it was a possibility. I think it did catch a lot of people off guard though.” In addition to the bowl ban, the NCAA slashed nine scholarships over three years and put the football program on three years probation. Noon agreed the bowl ban may have come as a surprise, but said the other sanctions shouldn’t worry the recruits in the slightest. “I think the one-year bowl ban comes as a little bit of a surprise,” Noon said. “But when you look at the rest of the penalties, none of those directly have bearing on kids whether they commit to a program because scholarship reductions don’t mean anything to you if you already have a scholarship.” Before the NCAA levied its punishments, Meyer had been on quite a roll on the Buckeye recruiting trail. Noah Spence, Se’von Pittman and Tommy Schutt, three highly rated defensive line recruits gave their pledge to the Scarlet and Gray within the past two weeks. Two of those players, Pittman and Schutt, were previously committed to other Big Ten schools, but Meyer was able to flip Pittman from Michigan State to OSU and Schutt uncommitted from Penn State. With OSU now facing a bowl ban, some fear opposing coaches might use that fact to negatively recruit against players already committed to the Buckeyes. But Noon said finally knowing the penalties might actually be a good thing. “I think Ohio State was already being negatively recruited when the whole NCAA cloud was hanging over its head,” Noon said. “I’m sure that schools will try and potentially use this to see if they can shake somebody loose, but I don’t expect it to be anywhere to the point of where it was beforehand where schools were saying allegedly that Ohio State was going to get USC-type penalties.” The USC football program just finished the second season of its two-year bowl ban this year and had 30 scholarships cut by the NCAA as part of violations involving former Trojan running back Reggie Bush. Recruits now know what they’re facing if they choose to enroll at OSU, but that doesn’t mean opposing coaches won’t try their best to convince the recruits to change their minds. “If they really want those guys, they’re going to go after them,” Helwagen said.
Ohio State freshman guard Duane Washington finishes a dunk against Illinois on Feb. 14 at the Schottenstein Center. Photo: Cori Wade | For The LanternWIth a six-point deficit heading into the final two minutes of the game, senior guard C.J. Jackson was unfazed with the rest of his game. Going into the possession, he had seven turnovers, leading a Buckeye team that had been plagued by turnovers.As he took the ball out, trailing 57-51, Jackson found a hole, driving to the hoop and drawing a foul, bringing the Buckeyes to within four. Two free throws by freshman guard Luther Muhammad lessened Ohio State’s deficit to three with 57 seconds remaining in the game. But Jackson’s seven turnovers ended up as more detrimental than the sign of life the Buckeyes had in the final minute, as Illinois beat Ohio State 62-56 in its first road win of the season. Illinois forced 18 turnovers in Thursday’s game, coming in as the best in the Big Ten in both steals and turnovers. The Fighting Illini finished with 14 points off turnovers. In the first half, the Buckeyes, averaging 13 turnovers per game, recorded 10 turnovers, as the Fighting Illini scored 10 points off Ohio State’s mistakes. Senior guard C.J. Jackson recorded four of Ohio State’s 10 turnovers in the first half.He finished the game with a team-leading 17 points, making only 4-of-9 from the field while connecting on 8-of-11 from the free-throw line. Illinois continued to force Ohio State to make mistakes in the second half as the Buckeyes recorded eight turnovers in the second half. The Fighting Illini scored only four points off those turnovers. Junior forward Andre Wesson credited the Illinois defense for the kind of pressure it put on Ohio State, forcing them to improvise on the offensive end. “It’s real tough,” Wesson said. “They are always in the passing lanes. It’s hard to reverse the ball and, kind of, get to the other side. That’s kind of what we predicate our offense on, so it was hard for us.” After making 10-of-28 attempts in the first half of its 55-52 win against Indiana on Sunday, the Buckeyes came out to a slow start again against the Fighting Illini. Ohio State shot 38.1 percent from the field in the first half, making 2-of-6 from 3. But the last 3 was an important one. Playing with a six-point deficit heading into the final minute of the half, sophomore forward Kaleb Wesson pulled up for a 3, his second attempt of the day, and drilled it, cutting the Illinois lead to 30-27 heading into halftime. However, in a tight game, Andre Wesson said a team cannot play from behind trading shots with the opponent. “We just couldn’t get stops,” Andre Wesson said. “It was just back-and-forth there for awhile. When you are down, you can’t go back and forth. You have to get stops.” Wesson was the only bright spot for the Buckeyes in the first half. He led the team with nine points, shooting 60 percent from the field and recording three rebounds. With 2:19 remaining in the game, Wesson fouled out, the fifth time he has done so in the past 10 games. He finished the game with 11 points, making 3-of-7 from the field with five rebounds. Wesson has finished with four or more fouls in 11 of the past 14 games.Other than Wesson, Ohio State made five of its 16 shot attempts from the field in the first half.After making 8-of-21 attempts in the first half, the Buckeyes overcame a seven-point second half deficit, tying the game at 40 on a 7-0 run. Trailing Illinois 44-40 with 10:04 left in the game, the freshman guard recorded a dunk to bring the Buckeyes to within two. A minute later, Washington, on a fastbreak, soared for a dunk, earning a trip to the line, giving Ohio State the 45-44 lead. But the Ohio State cooled off, ending the half shooting 36.2 percent from the field and missing all seven attempts from 3. Holtmann said he felt the 3s were the end result of Illinois making Ohio State change its offensive approach. “I thought some of them were clean and I felt some of them were rushed,” Holtmann said. “I thought they did a good job taking us out of our offense.” In his 15 minutes off the bench, sophomore forward Kyle Young fouled out with 8:40 left in the game. He finished with four points, five rebounds and an assist. Ohio State and Illinois combined for 45 fouls on Thursday night. The Buckeyes hit 80 percent of their free throws while the Fighting Illini made 9-of-17. Even though Holtmann saw glimpses of what Jackson could be, saw a glimpse of what a comeback would be in the final minute of the game, the previous 39 minutes and his struggles with turnovers were what led to the loss. “Seven turnovers is a lot, I don’t question how hard he competed,” Holtmann said. “I thought he competed, it was just those turnovers were critical.” Ohio State will travel to East Lansing, Michigan to take on Michigan State Sunday at 1 p.m. Updated at 10:23 with quotes from junior forward Andre Wesson and head coach Chris Holtmann.
Former Manchester United icon who played for Liverpool between 1997 and 1999, has praised the emergence of Naby Keita and Fabinho at Liverpool yet says Emre Can’s departure is a blow for the club.The 50-year-old believes the Merseysiders still need to make a few more additions in the summer transfer window, particularly in goal and up front, according to Goal.“Getting Keita in from Leipzig, top player. Fabinho, yes, I like him. I think they have done a good bit of business. I think they have to replace Can, it is a shame that he has gone.Report: Mario Mandzukic set for swift Juventus exit Andrew Smyth – September 13, 2019 Mario Mandzukic is reportedly set to make a hasty exit from Juventus after failing to make the Champions League squad last week.“I like him as a player, I think he has all the components that you want from a midfield player. He is strong, can get it down and can past. I think they will get a goalkeeper in. Irrespective of what happened in the Champions League. I am not going down that road but I think they need another goalkeeper.“He has not been sure all season, whether it is Karius or Mignolet. I think he will wanna go. I like Alexander-Arnold, he is a young kid and will improve, and he will come back. So on the basis, I think they will need another striker. I think they need a target man. I know they have got the little players for how he plays but I think they need a target man.