Gardai warn drivers they’re on patrol with mandatory checks

first_imgAudioHomepage BannerNews Google+ Twitter Facebook Pinterest Previous articleNaomh Muire manager Kevin White reacts to his side’s Ulster Junior Final defeatNext articleTwo wins for Kerr at Bishopscourt News Highland Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction WhatsApp DL Debate – 24/05/21 Facebook Pinterest Twittercenter_img Several drivers have already been arrested on suspicion of drink or drug driving this bank holiday weekend.It comes as Gardaí warn drivers they’re on patrol with mandatory checks across the country.RSA spokesperson Moya Murdock says there’s been an increase this year in the numbers of people killed in crashes:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/murdockroads6pm-1.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. By News Highland – October 27, 2019 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Gardai warn drivers they’re on patrol with mandatory checks WhatsApp Google+ FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th last_img read more

Governor Wolf Urges Support for Shale Tax, State-Related Universities

first_img October 11, 2017 Governor Wolf Urges Support for Shale Tax, State-Related Universities Budget News,  Press Release,  Severance Tax Harrisburg, PA – Today, Governor Tom Wolf stood with lawmakers and local officials in Erie to urge the legislature to come back to Harrisburg to complete the budget process by passing a severance tax and funding the state-related universities.“I’m here to make clear that I am managing the budget, but the General Assembly still has work to do: fund our major state universities and pass a commonsense tax on shale,” said Governor Wolf. “The fairest and simplest solution to the current budget challenge is a severance tax on natural gas production.”Last week, after the repeated failure of the legislature to finalize the budget deal, the governor announced that he will take steps to manage the state finances and ensure that payments can be made to schools, health and human services providers, and other governmental entities.“The governor has a vision for Pennsylvania and that vision includes a reasonable shale tax,” said Representative Flo Fabrizio. “This is supported by the Democratic Caucus, because we know it will go a long way to eliminate the structural deficit. The budgets that the House Republicans have been suggesting have been unrealistic and lack reoccurring revenue. We’re looking forward to being back in Harrisburg next week to pass a responsible budget.”“We are enthused that Governor Wolf is here in Erie to discuss the latest on the state budget, especially since we are facing a deficit. We need a reasonable severance tax to truly help our state overcome that deficit.” said Representative Pat Harkins. “Our gas is currently being used tax-free by other citizens in various states, while Pennsylvanians are paying taxes that help build roads and schools in states like Texas. That is upsetting to me. With us returning to Harrisburg next week we remain hopeful that somehow all sides can arrive at a positive agreement.”The legislature has also not taken action to fund institutions of higher education including Penn State, the University of Pittsburgh, Temple and Lincoln universities and the PennVet School.“Our universities and students should not suffer because some in the General Assembly can’t put partisanship aside,” continued Governor Wolf. “A severance tax gets us the recurring revenue we need and will help pay for our commitments to our state universities.”Earlier this week, in an effort to protect school districts and other entities that rely on funding from state government, the governor announced his plan to monetize the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex & Expo Center through a lease-leaseback arrangement.center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Attorneys for Bryan Stow, Frank McCourt seek favorable jury in Dodger Stadium beating case

first_imgOne of Stow’s assailants, Louie Sanchez, was confrontational with fans while inside the stadium during the game and should have been thrown out by the second inning, Girardi said, but there was no security in the section in which Sanchez and his friend Marvin Norwood were seated.“I mean, it’s crazy, and nobody does anything about it,” Girardi said.When Stow was attacked in the parking lot, security was also absent, even though two guards were supposed to be present, he noted. “Somehow they didn’t make it,” Girardi said.The attorney insisted that Stow did not attack Sanchez or Norwood, both of whom have pleaded guilty to attacking the father of two. “He never touched anybody.” Stow’s medical care has thus far reached into the millions of dollars. “You’re not supposed to end up this way going to the game,” Girardi said, adding that no person or entity in the current ownership of the Dodgers faces any potential liability. Fox countered that Stow had a blood-alcohol level well above what is considered the legal limit to drive both at the time of the attack and earlier in the stadium. He said security at Dodger Stadium that day was the highest in the stadium’s history for an opening-day game.A Major League Baseball representative who was present at the game said he had never seen such a large security force at any game, Fox said, adding that security included nearly 200 Los Angeles Police Department officers in the parking lot in addition to a mix of LAPD officers, off-duty lawmen and private security guards in the stadium.Judge Victor Chavez ordered the prospective jurors to fill out a questionnaire meant to gauge their ability to be fair to both sides.“What is your opinion, if any, of Frank McCourt?” is question No. 34 of the proposed 45-question survey filed by his lawyers in Los Angeles Superior Court.Jurors are also being asked their opinions of the Dodger organization and Dodger Stadium and whether they have ever had a negative experience at the facility.Both attorneys will be probing to see if jurors have come to any opinion as to whether Stow should be compensated by McCourt or the Dodgers. About 100 prospective jurors in the trial of a San Francisco Giants fan’s negligence suit against ex-Dodgers owner Frank McCourt heard widely different accounts from attorneys Tuesday about who was responsible for the severe brain injury suffered by the former paramedic in a beating outside Dodger Stadium.Bryan Stow of Santa Cruz was attacked by two Dodger fans in a stadium parking lot after the opening-day game on March 31, 2011. A lawsuit was filed on Stow’s behalf two months later.Thomas Girardi, representing Stow, blamed the attack on a lack of security. But Dana Fox, on behalf of McCourt and three Dodger entities he created, said Stow and the two men who attacked him share responsibility for the “tragic, terrible injuries” he suffered.The lawyers gave prospective jurors a brief summation of the case shortly after they were brought into the Los Angeles Superior Court courtroom where the trial will take place. Stow, in a wheelchair, was in the front row of the courtroom, along with his parents and relatives.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Will Lakers’ second meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge pay off?

first_imgBut it represented a pleasant surprise in a week in which very little has gone right. Various Lakers officials took a cross-country flight late Tuesday night for a visit on Wednesday afternoon with Detroit center Greg Monroe. But on Thursday morning, Monroe agreed to a three-year, $50 million deal with Milwaukee. Clippers center DeAndre Jordan considered the Lakers “very professional” and the team delivered a “strong presentation” in their meeting Wednesday night, according to a league source familiar with Jordan’s thinking. But Jordan is expected to choose between either the Mavericks or Clippers.The Lakers also could not retain Ed Davis, who agreed to a three-year, $20 million deal with Portland on Thursday. Davis hoped to stay with the Lakers and expressed gratitude for the opportunity that enabled him to average 8.3 points per game as well as career-highs in field-goal percentage (60.1), rebounding (7.6), blocked shots (1.2) and assists (1.2) in his fifth NBA season.“They wanted me to come back,” Davis told Los Angeles News Group. “But I felt like this was the right decision for me. I didn’t really want to wait around. I was comfortable with everything there. I wanted to go back. Nothing went bad or anything.”Yet, the Lakers still placed higher priority on receiving clarity on the marquee free agents, including Aldridge and Jordan. The Lakers have $23 million in cap space, and would need $18.8 million available for a max contract.“That played a big part of it,” Davis said. “They want to have that cap space open for one of those guys. I felt Portland would help me with my career down the road. I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.”It seems too early to know what the Lakers’ backup plan will entail. They could look to acquire Golden State forward David Lee, who will likely be traded amid a diminished role. But the Warriors do not want to absorb salary and would like outside shooters. The Lakers have expressed interest in Amare Stoudemire and Jason Smith, according to league sources, but those players are not game-changers.Currently, the Lakers’ summer league roster could represent most of their actual team, including Russell, Randle, Clarkson, Larry Nance Jr., Anthony Brown, Tarik Black and Jabari Brown. All of which brings the Lakers back to their latest meeting with Aldridge. Will the sequel feature a more compelling script and happier ending? The Lakers’ free-agent fortunes likely depend on it. • Whicker: Why are Lakers unable to attract free agents?How will Kobe Bryant stay durable and effective in his 20th and perhaps final NBA season after suffering three-season ending injuries in three consecutive years? How quickly will the Lakers’ young core of D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson develop? Who else will the Lakers target in free agency?The Lakers’ second meeting contrasted the full cast the Lakers brought to their first meeting, notably featuring Bryant, Scott, Kupchak, president Jeanie Buss, executive Jim Buss and former Showtime Laker James Worthy. The Lakers’ meeting also included assistant general manager Glenn Carraro, senior vice president of business operations Tim Harris, team publicist John Black as well as representatives with Time Warner Cable SportsNet and AEG. Before the first meeting started with Aldridge, the Lakers rolled out the red carpet in Hollywood fashion. The Lakers’ Twitter account began an “LA to L.A.” hashtag campaign. Musical artists Adam Levine and Snoop Dogg also publicly pleaded for Aldridge to change his favorite colors to purple and gold. Did the Lakers’ latest effort work? Who knows. After all, Aldridge also has reportedly attracted interest from Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Toronto, Phoenix and Portland. Even if their original performance elicited poor reviews, the Lakers still followed up with a sequel before a willing audience. The Lakers met with free agent forward LaMarcus Aldridge in Los Angeles on Thursday, according to a league source familiar with the situation, marking the second time in just over 48 hours the two parties discussed a potential partnership.Aldridge left his meeting with the Lakers on Tuesday night reportedly believing they stressed the wrong things in their presentation. It apparently focused too much on business opportunities and less on the team’s rebuilding strategy after ending last season with its worst record in franchise history. Hence, a league source said the Lakers centered their second meeting strictly on basketball and general manager Mitch Kupchak and coach Byron Scott were believed to be the only participants. Perhaps then, Aldridge received more clarity on a few things that could determine the Lakers’ success or failure in the 2015-16 season.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more