160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN FRANCISCO – Thousands of marchers, angry but energized by a sense of growing support for their cause, closed down a major downtown thoroughfare Sunday in a largely peaceful display of opposition to the Iraq war. “All over the country, people are speaking out. And you had the courage to do it first,” state Sen. Carole Migden, D-San Francisco, told demonstrators gathered in a city long known as a stronghold of anti-war sentiment. Although some marchers said they had been protesting the war for years, others said they came out on the sunny afternoon to rally against the war for the first time. Gary Fong, 65, of San Ramon, a retired school guidance counselor and former Army intelligence officer, carried a sign calling on President George W. Bush to “listen to America.” “I think the war effort at this point is futile,” said Fong, who marched with his wife, Shirley. “We want to do our part to express to Bush and the government that change needs to be made.” Dozens of police on foot and motorcycle blocked traffic and kept an eye on the crowd, which stretched for blocks through the city’s financial district. No arrests were reported by mid-afternoon Sunday.