Three Oxford students were victims of what is thought to have been a homophobic attack outside Coven II last Friday. The incident is the second triple attack in the past two terms, with gay clubbers fearing that the nightclub is unable to cope with homophoic violence in the area. The students, all in their second year, were returning home from the night club via a nearby car park when they were set upon by three men. One student from Brasenose, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “We left the club around quarter to three. The route we take passes a car park, which we cut through to get to Norfolk Street. We didn’t notice these guys until they were right up next to us. There was no provocation, they didn’t even say anything. I got grabbed by the shoulder and they hit me square in the face.”“They didn’t even say anything. I pushed one of them away and called the police. They didn’t make any effort to get out quickly, or flee the scene.” A second student, from Wadham, was hit in the back of the head and a third from Keble was kicked in the stomach. All sustained injuries as a result of the attack. One student said, “I spoke to the police on the phone and told them that this area is renown for homophobic attacks, and that we could see the men heading off in the direction of the club. I’m aware that violence of this sort is happens in all cities but what disturbs me is that I can be attacked for something that is inherent and unchangeable about me.” Last term, three male St Peter’s students were beaten up near the club, which is located on Oxpens Road near the Oxford Ice Rink.The three students reported the attack to Thames Valley Police the following day, who will use CCTV footage to try and identify the perpetrators. A spokesperson said that the attack was being investigated as an act of violence rather than specifically homophobic, due to the lack of verbal exchange. However, the Brasenose student said, “I fundamentally believe that it was a homophobic attack.”He added, “I’d like to see clubs taking more responsibility for their punters when they’re leaving. Given that Coven II’s clientele is majority queer on a Friday night, keeping an eye out would be no bad thing.”“It’s essentially a problem of education. You can put a massive police presence in the area but eventually the problem will just move elsewhere.”
Ben Platt in ‘Dear Evan Hansen'(Photo: Matthew Murphy) Broadway.com has confirmed that the much-buzzed about Main Stem transfer of Dear Evan Hansen will now land at the Music Box Theatre; it had been scheduled for the Belasco. Directed by Michael Greif and starring Ben Platt in the titular role, the tuner is still set to begin previews on November 14 and officially open on December 4.With a book by Steven Levenson and score by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul, Dear Evan Hansen had its world premiere at Arena Stage, Washington D.C., last year and recently concluded its New York debut at off-Broadway’s Second Stage.The show follows outsider Evan Hansen, who feels invisible to his peers, his crush and his own mother. A letter he writes leads to an incident with a classmate, a series of lies and an entire community movement that catapults Evan into the spotlight. As the momentum builds and stakes rise, he struggles to hold onto his secret without jeopardizing his relationship with the ones he holds close.Platt will be joined by his Second Stage co-stars Laura Dreyfuss as Zoe, Rachel Bay Jones as Heidi, Jennifer Laura Thompson as Cynthia, Mike Faist as Connor, Will Roland as Jared and Kristolyn Lloyd as Alana. Emmy winner Michael Park, who originated the role of Larry Murphy at Arena Stage, returns for the Broadway production.Broadway.com customers impacted by the switch will be contacted in regards to their tickets. from $89.00 Dear Evan Hansen Related Shows View Comments
Press Association “We were disappointing today. We went in with confidence high but when you give away a goal so early it gave West Ham a boost,” he said. “I think it was the overall performance with and without the ball. We disappointed right from the off. “Once we conceded that early goal we just couldn’t get back into the game. “The moral and confidence has been really high and they have been developing and improving. A lot of it today was self-inflicted. We gave poor goals away and that was the biggest disappointment.” Rodgers also felt Coutinho was unlucky with his red card, which means he will miss the trip to Old Trafford when the Premier League resumes after the international break. “I thought both sending-offs were very harsh,” he added. “He must have real good ears Kevin if he could hear (dissent for Coutinho’s first caution) because there was some distance . If he has been booked for that I’ll be surprised but it looked like that when I saw the replay.” “It is three points but it is one of those games which, for the fans especially, it is more than three points,” said the Croatian. “Fifty-two years without winning here at a special stadium and we did it in style, we didn’t nick it. “It was a great performance in 90 per cent aspects of the modern game, so it is more than three points. “It is great for everyone. It is one of those games that will be written in the history books of our club – you can’t ask for more than winning 3-0 away at Liverpool.” Bilic did not agree with referee Kevin Friend’s decision to dismiss Noble and said the club will appeal. “I watched it after and for me the very simple answer is not a red card, nowhere near a red card,” he added, “I am very hopeful and I think we should win it (the appeal). For the Adrian (his goalkeeper was sent off second game of the season) one I said ‘unlucky’ but this one, with the greatest respect to the officials, it is not a red card.” Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers bemoaned sloppy goals for their first defeat of the season after three successive clean sheets. West Ham manager Slaven Bilic hailed a long-awaited victory at Anfield as one for the club’s history books. The Hammers ended a 52-year wait for a league win at Liverpool with a stylish 3-0 success after goals from Manuel Lanzini, Mark Noble and Diafra Sakho. Even a harshly-awarded red card for Noble, after the hosts had seen Philippe Coutinho dismissed for two bookable offences, could not take the shine off the day.
The USC women’s golf team is holding its own at a talent-heavy Pac-10 championships at the Eugene Country Club in Eugene, Ore.The Women of Troy sit just one stroke back after the first day of play after getting strong performances from their entire roster.USC is matched up against five of the top 20 teams in the nation this week, including No. 1 Arizona State and No. 2 UCLA. Another, Oregon, is playing in its own hometown. But make no mistake: the Women of Troy intend to win.Curtain call · Senior Belen Mozo, playing in her final Pac-10 event, shot a opening-round 72, good enough to tie her for ninth overall. – Photo courtesy of USC Sports Information “I think we’re ready to bring another championship home,” said two-time All-American junior Lizette Salas.Leading the team into the postseason is sophomore Jennifer Song, the No. 2 golfer in the country.Song, who shot a first round of two-under-par 70, leads the nation in scoring average at 70.63 strokes per round and already has two victories as an individual this year.If she maintains that average, she will break the school season scoring record that she already holds by .92 strokes. Song will leave USC at the end of the season to turn pro and wants to end her final season as an amateur with an NCAA championship, something she has not yet achieved.Salas, a junior, was on the NCAA championship-winning team in 2008. That team won its last four events, including all three postseason tournaments.Salas shot a team-best 3 under par on Monday.“We expect to play better than we did at [the ASU/PING Invitational], because we left a lot of shots out there,” Salas said “I think we took the wrong approach to certain shots, and we need to be more alert to the type of shot we have to make.”Salas finished tied for sixth place at ASU and won an individual title at the Turtle Bay classic in Hawaii in November.Three-time All-American senior Belen Mozo is looking to become the first four-time All-American in USC history. Finally healthy after battling injuries throughout the fall, Mozo shot even par during the first round.Rounding out USC’s first day was senior Caroline Kim (4-over-par 76) and freshman Cyna Rodriguez (1-over-par 73).Kim’s final season with the team has been highlighted by a 30th-place finish at the Mason Rudolph Championship in September. Rodriguez’s best tournament was the Bruin Wave, where she finished 15th. Both have fought for a roster spot all season with senior Stefanie Endstrasser and sophomore Inah Park and look to make the most of this postseason opportunity.The Women of Troy said they are well aware of the expectations that come with their program. The team has finished in the top-seven at the NCAA championships nine times in the last 12 years, including victories in 2003 and 2008.USC is confident they can continue the tradition of success in Eugene and beyond.“We all know the course really well,” Salas said. “We’re all really excited about this.”