ABC News(NEW YORK) — The 110 reports of severe weather on Monday, mostly from Kansas, included three tornadoes, baseball-sized hail and straight-line winds of 80 mph.Torrential rain has caused flash flooding in Kansas, where the town of Chanute saw almost 4.7 inches of rain, a daily record for May 6, requiring several homes be evacuated.Radar reports show organized thunderstorms and heavy rain moving across Kansas and Missouri early Tuesday, but the severity of those storms should wind down later in the morning.The next storm, however, is organizing over the Rockies and headed for the Plains later Tuesday.Through Thursday, more than 40 million Americans are at risk of seeing severe weather from Texas to Missouri.Oklahoma and Texas are especially vulnerable Tuesday, with several regions at varying degrees of risk for destructive winds, large hail or tornadoes.The storm will begin to congeal, with a long line of powerful storms hitting Oklahoma City and Dallas Wednesday morning. Ultimately, more severe storms will be possible from east Texas through Missouri. From east Texas into western Lousiana, temperatures may warm enough on Wednesday to increase the risk of tornadoes spawning.Weather risks on Thursday should slide a little south and east, with numerous thunderstorms developing from Louisiana to Tennessee.Locally, certain areas this week could see 6 to 8 inches of rain, leading to more flash flooding and rapid river rises — including in some of the region’s more urban areas.Additionally, widespread rainfall totals from this large storm system in the 2- to 4-inch range are expected along other parts of the Mississippi River Valley, as well as from Oklahoma up to Wisconsin, which could aggravate existing flood conditions.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Maria Van Kerkhove, the WHO’s COVID-19 technical lead, told the news conference in Geneva: “My understanding is that there are no deaths associated so far” with the Beijing outbreak. Chinese-led investigationWHO emergencies director Mike Ryan said that countries which have implemented an immediate and comprehensive spread of measures have generally been able to contain new clusters.”However, Beijing is a large city and a very dynamic and connected city, so there is always a concern,” he said.”And I think you can see that level of concern in the response of the Chinese authorities, so we are tracking that very closely.”He said the WHO had offered assistance and support to the Chinese authorities leading the probe, and may reinforce its own team in Beijing in the coming days as the investigation grows.”A cluster like this is a concern and it needs to be investigated and controlled — and that is exactly what the Chinese authorities are doing,” said Ryan.The novel coronavirus has killed at least 433,000 people and infected more than 7.9 million since it first emerged in China last December, according to a tally from official sources compiled by AFP.Tedros said it had taken more than two months for the first 100,000 cases to be reported — but for the past two weeks, more than 100,000 cases have been reported to the WHO almost every day.Nearly 75 percent of recent cases come from 10 countries, he said, mostly in the Americas and South Asia.However, there were increasing numbers of cases in Africa, eastern Europe, central Asia and the Middle East, he added. More than 100 cases of the novel coronavirus have been officially recorded in the fresh outbreak in Beijing, the World Health Organization said Monday.As lockdown restrictions ease and countries in Europe lifted their borders, the WHO warned countries to stay on alert for a possible resurgence of COVID-19 infections.The UN health agency said it understood no new deaths have been reported thus far in the Chinese capital but added that given Beijing’s size and connectivity, the outbreak was a cause for concern. “Even in countries that have demonstrated the ability to suppress transmission, countries must stay alert to the possibility of resurgence,” WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual press conference.”Last week, China reported a new cluster of cases in Beijing, after more than 50 days without a case in that city. More than 100 cases have now been confirmed.”The origin and extent of the outbreak are being investigated.”The virus emerged in Wuhan in China in late 2019. It since drove local transmission down to near-zero as the crisis hammered the rest of the world. Topics :
Comment Jurgen Klopp is expecting a quiet summer at Anfield (Picture: Getty)Daniel Sturridge was allowed to leave Anfield after his contract expired at the end of June leaving Roberto Firmino and Divock Origi as Klopp’s only established first-team forwards.AdvertisementAdvertisementKlopp did, however, predict an ‘important role’ for 19-year-old striker Rhian Brewster this season after he scored twice and provided an assist during the win against Tranmere.Chalov signed a new three-year deal with CSKA in January in recognition of his excellent form but they could struggle to hold on to him after missing out on Champions League qualification.Since debuting for the club in 2016, Chalov has scored 27 goals in 65 league matches and has also made two senior appearances for the Russian national team.Liverpool have signed 17-year-old Dutch defender Sepp van den Berg so far this summer and are reportedly closing in on a move for Fulham wonderkid Harvey Elliott.More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors Advertisement Advertisement Fedor Chalov is on Liverpool’s radar this summer (Picture: Getty)Liverpool have entered the race to sign CSKA Moscow striker Fedor Chalov as Jurgen Klopp looks to boost his attacking options next season.The 21-year-old top-scored in the Russian Premier League last season with 15 goals in 30 matches and has been linked with a move to a host of clubs this summer.According to the Daily Mirror, both Arsenal and Manchester United are monitoring the £20m-rated Russia international as are Bayern Munich, Borrusia Dortmund, Monaco and Sevilla, amongst others.Although Jurgen Klopp stated ‘it will not be the biggest transfer window of all-time’ for Liverpool after their 6-0 win over Tranmere Rovers on Thursday, he could be in the market for a new striker.ADVERTISEMENT Metro Sport ReporterSunday 14 Jul 2019 8:12 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link285Shares Liverpool join Arsenal and Man United in the race to sign CSKA Moscow striker Fedor Chalov