Tom Waits Surprise Guests With Mavis Staples For His First Live Performance In Two Years [Videos]

While Waits’ appearance onstage was a rare occurrence for the 67-year-old singer, Staples has been ramping up her productivity in recent months. Last week, she announced the pending release of a brand new album co-written with Jeff Tweedy of Wilco (out November 17th), and shared the album’s first single, “If All I Was Was Black,” for which Tweedy added the music to Staples’ lyrics. That same day, Mavis also announced a full Fall Tour with the great Bob Dylan. The 20+ date national tour will begin in Southern California on October 13th, and wrap up on November 16th in Boston. For a full list of tour dates, head to Dylan’s website.https://bobdylan.com/on-tour/You can listen to Staples’ new single, “If All I Was Was Black,” below via Staples’ YouTube page:Bob Dylan w/ Mavis Staples 2017 Fall Tour Dates10/13 Harrah’s Resort SoCal – The Events Center @ Valley Center, CA10/14 The Cosmopolitan Hotel – The Chelsea Theatre @ Las Vegas, NV10/17 Eccles Theater @ Salt Lake City, UT10/18 Eccles Theater @ Salt Lake City, UT10/21 1st Bank Center @ Denver, CO10/23 Century Link Center @ Omaha, NE10/24 Stephens Auditorium @ Ames, IA10/25 Xcel Energy Center @ St Paul, MN10/27 Wintrust Arena @ Chicago, IL10/28 Van Andel Arena @ Grand Rapids, MI10/29 IU Auditorium @ Bloomington, IN11/1 Fox Theater @ Detroit, MI11/3 EJ Thomas Hall @ Akron, OH11/5 Palace Theater @ Columbus, OH11/6 Peterson Events Center @ Pittsburgh, PA11/8 Nassau Coliseum @ Uniondale, NY11/10 Coliseum @ Richmond, VA11/11 Tower Theatre @ Philadelphia, PA11/12 Tower Theatre @ Philadelphia, PA11/14 The Anthem @ Washington, DC11/16 Agannis Arena @ Boston, MA[h/t – Consequence of Sound] Last night, renowned singer-songwriter Tom Waits marked his first live appearance in over two years when he joined Mavis Staples onstage at a Lagunitas Brewery location in California. The famously gravelly-voiced singer duetted with Mavis on The Staple Singers‘ 1972 Grammy-winning soul classic, “Respect Yourself. Until the sit-in with Staples, Waits had not given a live performance since he visited The Late Show in 2015 ahead of then-host David Letterman‘s departure from the show.You can watch an assortment of crowd-shot videos from Tom Waits’ surprise guest appearance with Mavis Staples below:Crowd-shot video via Facebook user Richard Zeno: read more

Israeli warplanes hit Gaza, Syria after Palestinian rocket barrage

first_imgIsraeli aircraft hit what the military said were Islamic Jihad sites in the Gaza Strip and Syria late Sunday, after the Palestinian militant group fired a barrage of rockets at Israel.In a new flareup a week ahead of fresh general election in the Jewish state, the Israeli Air Force carried out strikes on “Islamic Jihad terror sites” throughout Gaza and near the Syrian capital Damascus, a military statement said.There were no immediate reports of fatalities in either Gaza, which lies to the west of Israel, or Syria, which is to the country’s north. Islamic Jihad, which along with allied group Hamas has fought three wars with Israel in Gaza since 2008, operates in both territories.The Israeli military said it had struck “dozens” of Islamic Jihad targets throughout Gaza.A military aircraft also fired at “Islamic Jihad terror operatives preparing to launch rockets,” from the northern Gaza Strip, the army said.”A hit was identified,” it added, with health officials in Gaza saying four people were wounded in the strikes. In Syria, the Israeli army said it had struck Islamic Jihad targets outside the capital Damascus, including a base “used as a hub” for the group’s activities in the country.An AFP correspondent in Damascus heard several strong explosions shortly before midnight (2200 GMT).The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the attacks were “near the Damascus international airport”.The Syrian state news agency Sana said “most of the enemy missiles were shot down before reaching their targets,” stressing that “no airport” was struck.Bulldozed Earlier Sunday, more than 20 rockets and mortars were launched from Gaza towards Israel, setting off warning sirens in the southern city of Ashkelon and several other locations, the army said.More than a dozen were intercepted by the Jewish state’s Iron Dome missile defence system, the Israeli army said.There were no reports of serious injuries.Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the rockets, calling them a response to the killing of one its fighters along the Gaza border early Sunday.Israel said the man had been part of a cell seeking to plant an explosive device on the border fence.Islamic Jihad identified the dead man as Mohammed al-Naem, 27, a member of its armed wing.A video later emerged on social media showing a bulldozer approaching a body while a group of young, apparently unarmed men, were trying to retrieve it. The sound of gunfire is heard and the men ultimately run away as the bulldozer scoops up the body.A tank can be seen positioned nearby.Israel’s hawkish Defence Minister Naftali Bennett has pursued a policy of retaining the bodies of militants from Gaza as bargaining chips to pressure Hamas, which has held the bodies of two Israeli soldiers since 2014.Hamas is also believed to be detaining two Israeli citizens who entered Gaza separately and whose families say suffer from mental illness.Israel has a general election on March 2, its third in less than a year after deadlocked polls in April and September 2019.Embattled Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, facing trial over a series of corruption allegations, is again neck and neck with centrist challenger Benny Gantz, a former military general.Hamas and Israel last fought a full-scale war in 2014 but smaller flareups are relatively common.In November, Islamic Jihad and Israel fought a three-day conflict that left 35 Palestinians dead and more than 100 wounded, according to official figures.There were no Israeli fatalities.Under the informal agreements in the past year, Israel has slightly eased a blockade of the impoverished Palestinian enclave in exchange for relative calm.Topics :last_img read more

SIX HOMES RE-POSSESSED BY BANKS IN DONEGAL SO FAR THIS YEAR

first_imgSIX families have lost their homes in Donegal so far this year, a survey has revealed.The repossession orders were granted in court cases in the county. Since February 2010, lenders have been prevented from taking legal action against borrowers who fall behind with the mortgage on their primary residence until 12 months after the first default.At the High Court, according to a recent study, it can take 3½ years from first default to eviction from a residential property.A total of 210 homes were ordered to be repossessed throughout the State since the start of the year.SIX HOMES RE-POSSESSED BY BANKS IN DONEGAL SO FAR THIS YEAR was last modified: May 14th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more