25 November 2010Violence against women and children was an attack on South Africa’s Bill of Rights and Constitution that could no longer be tolerated, Justice and Constitutional Development Minister Jeff Radebe said at the launch of the 16 Days of Activism campaign in Khayelitsha, Cape Town on Thursday.“I want to tell you today that eradicating violence against women is among our core business as government,” he said, adding that perpetrators should not be given any room to manoeuvre.A recent survey by the government found that women who wanted to report abuse often had to wait three to four hours in police stations repeating the same story to several police officers; that medical examinations were held days later; that doctors rarely treated survivors for HIV or offered medical assistance; and that women faced more risk of being raped when they walked back from hospital.Radebe said that, further to this, when the case involved a partner or ex-boyfriend, many police officers discouraged women from laying charges.Sexual Offences Courts, Thuthuzela Care CentresIn a bid to counter such incidents, the department has set up 54 Sexual Offences Courts with dedicated waiting areas away from the accused, while children are able to give testimony via closed-circuit television.The minister also opened the 27th Thuthuzela Care Centre in Pietermaritzburg earlier this week. These centres link women who have been sexually abused to health workers, social workers and prosecutors.The centres have been one of the government’s most successful programmes, said Minister of Basic Education Angie Motshekga, adding another one would be opening soon in KwaZulu-Natal.She said women had been intensifying their efforts to make gender equality a societal issue.A victim’s testimonyMotshekga’s address was followed by testimony from a Cape Town woman who had been a victim of domestic abuse. The woman, who asked to remain anonymous to protect her children, spoke out about the 19 years of abuse she suffered at the hands of her husband.“I’ve been abused in all ways possible – sexually, physically and financially,” said the woman, who left her husband two months ago when he began abusing her children.She recounted one incident where her husband dragged her by her hair to the kitchen, where he choked her until she blacked out. He then raped her before cleaning her off with a t-shirt.She was now picking up the pieces of her life and was writing a book about her abuse.Illegal to do nothingAlso speaking at the launch, Minister for Women, Children and People with Disabilities Lulu Xingwana said it was the responsibility of all in the community to report incidences of abuse of women and children to police or social workers.“The Children’s Act in particular makes it illegal for someone not to do anything if they are aware of the abuse,” said Xingwana.Western Cape Minister of Social Development Patricia de Lille said her department would be running a campaign in the province during the 16 Days of Activism, targeting men who were not paying maintenance for their children.De Lille, who estimated the value of maintenance defaults to be over R9.5-million, said her department, together with the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, would publish the names of the defaulters daily.Twelve roadblocks would also be set up in the Western Cape for next 16 days to track down defaulters.In addition, De Lille said community development workers were out in the community to help trace about 300 mothers who were not claiming disbursements totalling about R3-million.Source: BuaNews
By Kimberly HileJustin with LEGO Mac by Edward Liu, Flickr CC BY-NC 2.0, Obtained 6-13-2016Families entering the “world” of early intervention or early childhood special education do so under a wide variety of circumstances. For some, this may be their first time as a parent; therefore they may have limited awareness of the supports available for their family. Others may have walked through a similar journey before and understand their role in the process. Still others may come from a place of uncertainty or even resistance to accepting the fact that their family story may follow a different path than what they initially envisioned.Regardless of where a family is coming from, every family deserves, and has a right, to be fully included and play a primary role in their child’s intervention services. In order for early childhood professionals to serve as effective partners, they need a solid understanding of how to view each family in light of their current circumstances. Professionals need the tools to meet each family “where they are” while striving to actively involve family members in the manner in which they are comfortable being engaged.On June 23, 2016, Dr. Carol Trivette from East Tennessee State University will present the second part of a linked-series of family-centered webinars. This upcoming webinar is entitled, Engaging Families to Focus on Intervention Strategies. The session will highlight effective strategies for increasing parent engagement within their child’s intervention services. Dr. Trivette is an internationally known leader in the field when it comes to building a family’s confidence and competence. Her presentation will focus on how to accomplish this very important goal by highlighting the DEC Recommended Practices related to supporting families.Family practices encompass three themes:Family-centered practices: Practices that treat families with dignity and respect; are individualized, flexible, and responsive to each family’s unique circumstances;; provide family members complete and unbiased information to make informed decisions; and involve family members in acting on choices to strengthen child, parent, and family functioning.Family capacity-building practices: Practices that include the participatory opportunities and experiences afforded to families to strengthen existing parenting knowledge and skills and promote the development of new parenting abilities that enhance parenting self-efficacy beliefs and practices.Family and professional collaboration: Practices that build relationships between families and professionals who work together to achieve mutually agreed upon outcomes and goals that promote family competencies and support the development of the child.We will host our second Lunch & Learn (L&L) on June 29, 2016, as a follow-up to Dr. Trivette’s webinar. During the interactive L&L, you will be invited to share personal triumphs and challenges pertaining to your work with families. Meeting families “where they are” and knowing how to actively engage them is a vital piece of the puzzle within the world of early intervention and early childhood special education. We are excited to have Dr. Trivette share her knowledge on June 23 and invite you to share yours during our Lunch & Learn on June 29.This post was edited by Robyn DiPietro-Wells & Michaelene Ostrosky, PhD, members of the MFLN FD Early Intervention team, which aims to support the development of professionals working with military families. Find out more about the Military Families Learning Network FD concentration on our website, on Facebook, on Twitter, and YouTube.
Danny Kingad enters ONE Flyweight GP semis, scores unanimous win over Japanese bet Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles MOST READ Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss View comments Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants ROS’ Gabe Norwood, Double V Pres/CEO VJ Vasandani, JP Galvez – Lucao, Dagupan pic.twitter.com/iTc5QlPQRY— PBA (@pbaconnect) March 31, 2019“They were late and missed the bus to the lunch and they were supposed to be fined,” Marcial said. “But I asked them if they wanted a reprieve on the fine by playing in the shooting stars and they agreed.”It was a no-brainer for both. Aside from not shelling out P15,000 in fines, the two guards got to have a little fun, with Ross saying he was out “to beat this guy here,” while pointing at Cabagnot.Ross actually went on to beat Cabagnot with a little dramatic flair.As time was winding down in his squad to make a half court shot, Ross blew a kiss to the crowd and banked in a Hail Mary with three seconds left in the 2-minute round.Cabagnot’s team failed to complete the round.But Rain or Shine’s Gabe Norwood saw his team get the win when All-Star weekend organizer Vijay Vasandani made a half court prayer with 35 seconds to spare. Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Google Philippines names new country director CALASIAO, PANGASINAN—San Miguel Beer guards Chris Ross and Alex Cabagnot were late additions to the PBA All-Stars shooting stars side event and fans thrilled to watch the two ace playmakers duke it out have a missed appointment to thank.Ross and Cabagnot were late for the call time for an official luncheon hosted by the provincial government here and instead of fining them as per league rules, commissioner Willie Marcial exercised some leniency with a catch.Shooting Stars participants! #PBAAllStars SMB’s Chris Ross, Double V Architect Jonathan Tolin, Jeremy Dampog – MangataremSMB’s Alex Cabagnot, Double V’s Aisel De Guzman, Jared Mendoza – CalasiaoADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES #PBAAllStars Shooting ⭐️s in a few.SMB’s Chris Ross, Double V Architect Jonathan Tolin, Jeremy Dampog – MangataremSMB’s Alex Cabagnot, Double V’s Aisel De Guzman, Jared Mendoza – CalasiaoROS’ Gabe Norwood, Double V Pres/CEO VJ Vasandani, JP Galvez – Lucao, Dagupan pic.twitter.com/LFHCd2ThoDFEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics— PBA (@pbaconnect) March 31, 2019ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event
Congratulations to Aussie Mens Open representative Ben Robinson and also Sharks Womens Open representative Kylie Glasson who married last weekend in a surprise/private ceremony. The couple, pictures and location looked beautiful and we wish them all the best as they start their new life as Ben and Kylie Robinson. Congratulations guys!
ANN ARBOR, MI – NOVEMBER 30: Quarterback Braxton Miller #5 of the Ohio State Buckeyes celebrates on the field with quarterback Kenny Guiton #13 and quarterback Cardale Jones #12 after defeating the Michigan Wolverines 42-41 in a game at Michigan Stadium on November 30, 2013 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Update: Big Ten Network released video of Miller’s brief speech. As he takes the microphone, Ohio State fans loudly chanted “one more year.” Clearly, they want all three quarterbacks back for next season.Earlier: By now, everyone knows about the remarkable dilemma that Ohio State faces at the quarterback position entering 2015. While rumors have been swirling about possible transfer destinations for senior Braxton Miller for months now, he has said that he plans to return to Columbus. That doesn’t seem all that likely considering he would have to beat out J.T. Barrett and now Cardale Jones for the starting job, but during today’s national championship celebration at Ohio Stadium, he definitely made it seem like he’s all-in on OSU.Braxton Miller: “Privilege and honor to be part of this team. Guess what, we’ve got another year to do it. So go Bucks.”— Tim May (@TIM_MAYsports) January 24, 2015The other two quarterbacks spoke up about the magical 2014 season as well.RT WEWS “RT KosichJohn: The 3 Ohio State QBs Braxton,Cardale & JT pic.twitter.com/3oqHBIf7SJ” #CLE— bobarcher (@bobarcher1) January 24, 2015J.T. Barrett: “This is what we talked about doing. Glad ya’ll were part of it.”— Tim May (@TIM_MAYsports) January 24, 2015Meyer refers to Cardale Jones as “the final part of the magnificent three.”— Tim May (@TIM_MAYsports) January 24, 2015Cardale Jones: “I dedicated this season and the last couple of games to these 2 guys on my left and my right.” Miller and Barrett.— Tim May (@TIM_MAYsports) January 24, 2015We still can’t imagine that all three quarterbacks stick around, but it will be very hard to make the decision to leave Ohio State, especially after the celebrations on campus that they’re all experiencing.
A new market is to be constructed in the town of Port Maria in St. Mary to replace the old structure on Hodgson Street.A contract for the project is to be signed on Thursday (April 5) at the Ministry of Local Government and Community Development in Kingston by Portfolio Minister, Hon. Desmond McKenzie.Chairman of the St. Mary Municipal Corporation and Mayor of Port Maria, His Worship Richard Creary and other stakeholder partners are expected to be in attendance at the signing ceremony.The new market is expected to be more conducive to customers purchasing food items and transacting other business. This will also boost economic activities in the town.Mayor Creary told JIS News that the St. Mary Municipal Corporation will manage the new market.“It’s a brand new market, a total reconstruction. It’s a two-storey building with commercial shop spaces on top for rent, just like any plaza,” he noted.
CHICAGO–For large stretches of the final game of the night in the quarterfinal round of the Big Ten tournament, it looked like Ohio State’s opponent in its semifinal game Saturday would be Iowa. The No. 6-seeded Hawkeyes took a 10-point lead into halftime against No. 3 seed Michigan State and held a 12-point lead 10 minutes into the second half. Paced by junior forward Adreian Payne, who scored 18 points, MSU started to chip away at the deficit. The Spartans went on a 13-2 run with 10 minutes remaining in the contest and took a 50-49 lead on a 3-pointer by freshman guard Gary Harris with 4:11 left. Play was back-and-forth from there, but MSU held on to a 59-56 victory after an Iowa 3-pointer in the waning moments clanked off the rim. Down the stretch, there were a few controversial calls that upset Iowa coach Fran McCaffery. Iowa junior forward Zach McCabe was called for a foul on MSU senior forward Derrick Nix when it appeared Nix had traveled before his shot. This led to McCaffery throwing his suit jacket onto the floor. With 30 seconds to play and Iowa down, 57-56, Hawkeye sophomore forward Aaron White was called for a foul on a Harris jumper, causing McCaffery to slam his fists onto the padding of the scorer’s table. “This team deserved a better fate,” McCaffery said afterwards, indirectly but almost assuredly blaming the officials for the loss. With the victory, MSU (25-7) will face OSU (24-7) Saturday at 4 p.m. at the United Center in Chicago. Let’s take a closer look at OSU’s upcoming opponent: Record: 25-7, 14-5 Big Ten Against OSU in the regular season: 1-1 Jan. 19: MSU 59, OSU 56 in East Lansing, Mich. The Buckeyes lost a heartbreaker to the Spartans in the first matchup of the season. MSU scored the first 10 points of the game and took a 30-26 lead into halftime. OSU, trailing by three points with seven seconds remaining, settled for an errant 3-pointer by sophomore guard Shannon Scott that clanked off the backboard with three seconds left. The shot confused many, as it came with time left on the clock and junior forward Deshaun Thomas open on the wing. Feb. 24: OSU 68, MSU 60 in Columbus OSU got its revenge on the then-No. 4 ranked Spartans, led by a rarely-seen offensive-minded Aaron Craft. The Buckeyes’ junior guard–known for his defense–scored a game-high 21 points, more than he had in the previous three games combined. OSU trailed, 31-25, at halftime, but led by Craft, the Buckeyes outscored MSU by 14 in the second period. Matchup to watch: Payne vs. OSU’s big men Payne dominated OSU in the Spartans’ loss in Columbus. The Ohio-native had 12 points, 15 rebounds, a block and a steal, having his way with every forward Thad Matta put on him. With OSU’s strength on defense being its guards, the Buckeyes can expect to bottle up–to an extent–MSU junior point guard Keith Appling and Harris. If sophomore center Amir Williams or redshirt senior forward Evan Ravenel can contain Payne, OSU could fare well Saturday. Saturday’s games: No. 1 seed Indiana vs. No. 4 seed Wisconsin, 1:40 p.m. No. 2 seed OSU vs. No. 3 seed MSU, 25 minutes following IU-UW
The new Arsenal boss Unai Emery believes the club are done recruiting summer signings unless a scenario at the club allows it.Emery believes that the club will only make another signing only when a huge opportunity arises.The former PSG boss also revealed he’s yet to speak with predecessor Arsene Wenger who spent 22 years at the helm of affairs at the club.Emery insists any advice gotten from the long-time gunners boss will be secondary to his, as he has his own method of doing things.“I have my own coaching style and I’ve a different personality,” Emery said via Sky Sports.The new boss is trying to create his own identity at the club with the addition of five new summer signings.Merson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“We’ve signed the players we need and unless a huge opportunity comes up we won’t be adding to the squad.” Emery said before the club’s first preseason game.“In this moment the squad is complete but we’re expecting one or two departures.”The new Arsenal boss is planning to keep midfielder Aaron Ramsey at the club.“I’m very happy with him, he has the quality and drive to be very successful with us,” Emery said about Ramsey.The Welsh midfielder is yet to sign a new contract with the club, but Emery insists that’s a question for the player and the club.“I think he’s going to be an important player for us, the question marks about his future are for him and the club to deal with.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, August 31, 2016 – Thirty four students studied at Fortis TCI this summer, and the initiative continues to get high marks from executives of the nation’s power supplier.Vice President of Human Resources, IT and the company’s Chief Financial Officer, Ruth Forbes said Fortis TCI needs professionals from varying disciplines, so students are exposed to what was called ‘a plethora of activities.’ “Indeed a wide range of skill sets are required for this type of organization to function and be successful and being exposed to this while still in school is a great opportunity to learn.” End quote.There are two elements to the summer study; the Summer Internship Program or SIP and the Student Summer Employment Program or SSEP; the latter is geared to those at College and University. Fortis says the SSEP participants get to apply their theoretical study to real world situations and this year there were nine on board: Shamaad Lewis, Jasmine Rodgers, Tyler Demeritte, Tristan Green, Kelly Cherite, Ebeni Ingham, Nevanna Bent, Oral Selver, and Demetrio Quant were named; high schools across the country were represented. Related Items:Fortis summer program, students study at Fortis