The Mayor and City Council (M&CC) has embarked on a new project to rehabilitate Bourda Street, which has been in an execrable state for quite some time. As such, while some vendors believe that this is a good initiative, the views of others differ.Some of the works being undertaken at Bourda StreetThe works are being done in collaboration with the Public Infrastructure Ministry.A vendor, who requested to be anonymous, revealed that due to the works being done, there has been a significant reduction of customers in that particular area as they cannot access the street. In the past days, business has been ‘slow’ and sometimes, the produce is not being sold so she incurs a loss. She believes that they should’ve been advised not to sell in the area until the rehabilitation of the street is completed.Meanwhile, a number of other merchandisers expressed their satisfaction with the new asphalt street and stalls; and have given their full cooperation until this project is completed.This, they said, will be an improvement and the market will see more customers and sales in the future, as the appearance of the area will be much better than it was before. They also think that the infestation of rodents will also be eradicated.“Excellent. I believe they’re doing an excellent job and they need to continue what they’re doing. There will be new stalls and they will be doing it in concrete so we won’t be having rats and these things no more,” Alfred Mack related.For now, the entrances to the stalls have been moved to the western pavement and vendors were asked not to use their current stalls after these works are completed.Vendors were told by M&CC Town Clerk Royston King, that new stalls will be constructed as per the M&CC’s specifications, as it relates to the dimension of each stall.As a result, taxes will also be increased on the upgraded stalls, to improve the services and facilities such as water, lightS and security being offered.
A Gortahork man has been “given a chance” after being ordered to pay €1,500 to a man he assaulted.Martin MaguireMartin Maguire of Ardsbeg, Gortahork, appeared at Letterkenny Circuit Court in relation to assault causing harm to Andrew Sweeney at Magheraclogher, Bunbeg on October 27, 2008. Maguire pleaded guilty to the charge before Judge Francis Comerford yesterday.Judge Comerford imposed a three month prison sentence, but said he would suspend the sentence if Maguire paid over the compensation.He said Maguire had been “given a chance” because he had gone to work in England in order to raise money for compensation.The accused man handed over €1,000 of the compensation to the court and has a week to hand over another €500 if the prison sentence is not to imposed.He agreed to sign a bond to be of good behaviour.GORTAHORK MAN ‘GIVEN A CHANCE’ AFTER PAYING €1,500 TO ASSAULT VICTIM was last modified: May 6th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:assaultdonegalMartin Maguire