Wanted bulletin issued for rape, murder suspects

first_imgThe Guyana Police Force (GPF) is now seeking the help of the public to arrest four men, who are wanted in connection to murder and rape investigations.Wanted are Farouk Khan of Byderabo Road, Bartica, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni); Dillon Fitzgerald of Lot 2793 Central Ward, Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice); Carlos Hackett; Winston Rodney called “Skinny”, 35, of Pomeroon, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam).Khan, 25, is wanted for the murder of Perion Boob, which occurred on April 21, 2019, in Kuribrang, Potaro, Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni). Bobb was killed after he was confronted by the group of men, after reporting to the police that persons were stripping a vehicle. His friend, Emmanuel Jeffrey, who was allegedly abducted following the shooting but later escaped reported to Police that the murder occurred while he and Bobb were transporting dredging equipment from Kuribrong trail to Kuribrong Backdam. Bobb was shot once to his stomach. His body was later found slumped over the steering wheel of the pick-up he was driving. Meanwhile, 27-year-old Fitzgerald is being sought for a rape he allegedly committed in 2018. Additionally, Hackett is also wanted for rape committed on a child under the age of 16 which occurred between June 1 and 30, 2017, at Wismar Scheme, Linden. Rodney called “Skinny”, 35, of Pomeroon is wanted for the said offence which occurred between July 1 and 31, 2019, at Lamp Island, Kwakwani. Reports are Rodney sexually assaulted a five-year-old. Reports are that between July 1 and July 31, the village of Kwakwani was hit by flooding and the suspect along with the little boy were alone in a boat traversing the community when the child was sexually assaulted. A senior officer told this publication that the child told his mother what had occurred and she made a report to the police.“The suspect was immediately arrested and interviewed and was held for the 72-hour period but when the time elapsed he had to be let go,” the senior police source told Guyana Times on Friday.According to the officer, the file had been sent for legal advice, but by the time it was returned to the police to take action, Rodney had gone into hiding.Meanwhile, Commander of E Division, Linden Lord, when contacted by this publication on Friday said the child who was sexually assaulted would be receiving counselling and other forms of care that is provided when such incidents occur.He also confirmed that although the suspect was arrested for the alleged crime, when the file was eventually returned with the instructions to charge the suspect, that mandatory 72-hour holding period had already expired.According to Commander Lord, a wanted bulletin has been issued for Rodney, who is at large and ranks of his Division will continue to search for the alleged paedophile who has gone into hiding since he was released from Police custody.Just recently, the Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA) revealed that sexual abuse of children remains high in the country. The number of reported cases is as follows: 801 in 2018, 392 in 2017 and 616 in 2016. Similarly, cases reported for boy children were 179 in 2018, 442 in 2017 and 118 in 2016.Meanwhile, just last week, Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Shalimar Ali-Hack stated that sexual offence cases continue to dominate the courtrooms across the country but that there are notable increases in convictions nationwide.Anyone with information that may lead to the arrest of the suspects is asked to contact the police on telephone numbers 226-6978, 225-8196, 226-2870, 226-7065, 227-1149, 226-7065, 911 or the nearest police station.All information will be treated with the strictest confidence.last_img read more

Site C Construction schedule for March 7 to 20, 2016

first_imgVisit the project website: sitecproject.com Learn MoreAdvertisement B.C Hydro has released the construction schedule for the next two weeks.  With an important win in B.C. Supreme Court, Hydro continues work on the dam.    According to the schedule, work will continue on the work accommodation lodge, clearing and excavation will continue on the north bank as well construction of the temporary bridge continues.  See the full schedule below.The following construction activities are scheduled to occur March 7 – March 20:Construction of the worker accommodation lodge and other buildings will continue. The first phase of the lodge (300 beds) will be open and in use.Clearing, excavation and road construction will continue on the north bank of the dam site area.Excavation and in-river roadwork will continue in and around the Peace River at the dam site.Construction of the temporary Peace River construction bridge will continue. Pile driving is being used to construct the bridge.Vegetation and tree clearing will occur in the area in and around the confluence of the Moberly River and along the Peace River.Clearing and other work will continue on the south bank. Road maintenance activities will continue on the south bank petroleum development roads.Security gates, guard buildings and mobile trailers will be installed.The main civil works contractor is expected to begin mobilization of crews and equipment to the dam site area. Survey work and site investigation will occur on the north and south bank.Operations will continue in Wuthrich Quarry.Vegetation and tree clearing will occur to accommodate future work in Portage Mountain Quarry.The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s contractor may mobilize and begin work on public roads. Clearing will occur along 271 Road and Old Fort Road.Geotechnical investigations will occur along the right-of-way for the 500 kV transmission line.Geotechnical investigations may occur along Highway 29 at Cache Creek/Bear Flat.Please note that all activities listed in this construction bulletin are based on the latest information in our construction plan and are subject to change. – Advertisement -What to ExpectWhile this work takes place, local residents can expect the following:There will be truck traffic in the area as construction crews mobilize, the hauling of rock and timber continues, and as modular camp units are transported to site. This will include increased industrial traffic on resource roads and public roads from Chetwynd leading to the site on the south bank.Work to construct the temporary Peace River construction bridge will take place seven days per week, with periodic pile driving.Some noise and vibration will result from the periodic blasting that is occurring in Wuthrich Quarry and from the work in Portage Mountain Quarry.Early morning and/or night shifts may be scheduled, in addition to shifts on the weekends. Some noise will occur in the vicinity of the dam site and along public roads as a result of the scheduled construction activities, including the bridge construction. BC Hydro will continue to monitor noise levels.For boater and worker safety, boats will need to stay clear of active in-river work areas. These areas are clearly identified with signage and markings.There will be minor traffic delays while upgrades are completed on public roads.last_img read more

Djokovic clinches maiden French Open title, completes career Grand Slam

first_imgA French Open champion at long last, and the first man in nearly a half-century to win four consecutive major championships, Novak Djokovic grabbed a racket and etched a heart in the very red clay that had given him such heartache in the past. (It ‘sucks to lose’ French Open final, says Andy Murray)Then, when he finally was handed the La Coupe des Mousquetaires – the one trophy he truly yearned for, the one he needed in order to complete a career Grand Slam – Djokovic held it overhead, his eyes shut, before kissing it, exhaling and smiling broadly.In his 12th appearance at Roland Garros, and fourth final, the top-seeded Djokovic earned that elusive title, casting aside a shaky opening set to dominate the rest of the way in a 3-6, 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 victory over No. 2 Andy Murray on Sunday, buoyed by a supportive crowd that repeatedly chanted his nickname, “No-le!”‘GREATEST MOMENT OF MY CAREER'”It’s really a very special moment,” Djokovic said, “perhaps the greatest moment of my career.” (Also See: Novak Djokovic reigns supreme at French Open 2016)Since losing the 2015 final in Paris, Djokovic has won 28 Grand Slam matches in a row, from Wimbledon and the U.S. Open last year, to the Australian Open in January, and now, at long last, the French Open.The last man to hold all four major titles simultaneously was Rod Laver in 1969, when he earned a calendar-year Grand Slam. Djokovic now can set his sights on that ultimate tennis achievement, because he is halfway there.advertisement”This is something that is so rare in tennis,” said Murray, who is now 2-8 in Grand Slam finals. “It’s going to take a long time for it to happen again.”DJOKOVIC JOINS LIST OF LEGENDSThe 29-year-old Djokovic owns six Grand Slam titles from the Australian Open, three from Wimbledon and two from the U.S. Open to give him a total of 12. Among men, only Roger Federer (with 17), Rafael Nadal (14) and Pete Sampras (14) own more.Of Djokovic’s 11 career losses at Roland Garros, six came against nine-time champion Nadal, one against Federer. Three came in finals, against Nadal in 2012 and 2014, against Stan Wawrinka a year ago. Djokovic’s 2016 path was unencumbered by any member of that trio: Federer withdrew before the tournament and Nadal before the third round, both citing injury; Wawrinka was eliminated in the semifinals by Murray.Still, Djokovic’s most imposing adversary might very well have been his own demons – the knowledge that the tournament that meant more to him than any other was the only tournament he simply couldn’t seem to conquer.Until now.MAJORITY CROWD BEHIND THE SERBOn Sunday – the weather overcast but dry, unlike so much of the rainy past two weeks – the first choruses of “No-le! No-le!” accompanied Djokovic’s entrance to the court. They returned when an announcer introduced Djokovic during the warmup period. And again when he skipped from sideline to baseline to receive in the opening game – and, louder still, when Djokovic broke Murray to start.All in all, it sounded as if this were Belgrade, rather than a neutral site, and Murray complained that fans were calling out between his first and second serves.The spectators really raised a ruckus when a Murray serve was called a fault by a linesman, immediately overruled by chair umpire Damien Dumusois. Because Djokovic’s return was out, Dumusois declared Murray led 30-love. Djokovic, already convinced there should have been a double-fault there, maintained the point should be replayed.Dumusois wasn’t buying it. The crowd booed and whistled loudly, delaying play for a full minute, an odd interlude in a Grand Slam final.MURRAY TAKES EARLY LEADSoon, Murray closed the first set. As Djokovic bowed his head, Murray ran backward to the changeover chair, pointing at his right temple.Aside from the first game, Murray was perfect in that set, trying to become Britain’s first male champion in Paris since 1935. Djokovic was off – jitters, perhaps? – and particularly so with his forehand, which offered up seven unforced errors before Murray made one.Maybe, just maybe, Murray exhaled after grabbing the set. Djokovic found a reserve of resolve. The dynamic shifted completely. Murray’s first-serve percentage dipped and he quickly fell behind 3-0.NO-LE! NO-LE!Now Djokovic was the domineering one, yanking an increasingly exhausted Murray this way and that with just the right shot at just the right moment and creating a 24-6 edge in winners across the second and third sets.advertisementWhen Djokovic slid to reach a drop shot by Murray and somehow crafted a cross-court backhand winner at an impossible angle to go a double-break up in the third at 4-1, the Serb raised his right index finger – “I’m No. 1!” – then sat and raised a clenched fist.”No-le! No-le!”Djokovic broke again to begin the fourth set, and his long, arduous journey to history was soon complete.last_img read more