PARIS (AP):Struggling striker Edinson Cavani came off the bench to score the winner as Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) beat Chelsea 2-1 in a pulsating first leg in the last 16 of the Champions League yesterday.Cavani, who has lost his place in the side in recent weeks, latched on to a superb pass over Chelsea’s stretched defence from winger Angel Di Maria and slotted through the legs of goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois from a narrow angle in the 78th minute.”I’m happy for Eddy. I’ve said it often because people doubt his scoring abilities, but he’s always shown he can score goals,” PSG coach Laurent Blanc said. “He was going through a very difficult period and I hope that scoring this goal gives him his confidence back.”Zlatan Ibrahimovic put PSG ahead with a powerful free kick in the 39th minute, only for Chelsea to level on the stroke of half time with a rare goal from midfielder John Obi Mikel.Courtois made a string of saves to keep Chelsea in contention heading into the second leg, and Spanish winger Pedro almost spoiled the home celebrations in injury time with a rasping drive into the side netting.”This is a very strong PSG, so I think the performance of our players was very good,” Chelsea coach Guus Hiddink said. “But we could have been more lethal in the four or five counters that we made.”PSG are unbeaten in domestic competition since March and in all competitions since a 1-0 reverse away to Real Madrid in the group stage on November 3 – a run of 23 games.Still, Blanc’s side could regret a host of missed chances and Chelsea will fancy their chances at Stamford Bridge in three weeks’ time.”It’s up to us to go and score at Stamford Bridge. We will get chances, and we must take them,” Blanc said.In the night’s other match, Benfica beat Zenit St Petersburg 1-0 in Lisbon thanks to an injury-time goal from Brazilian striker Jonas.Chelsea knocked out PSG in the quarter-finals two years ago and PSG won when they met at the same stage last season with both ties settled on away goals.
LATEST STORIES Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Switzerland’s Stan Wawrinka returns against Spain’s Feliciano Lopez during their men’s singles first round tennis match at the ATP Aegon Championships tennis tournament at Queen’s Club in west London on June 20, 2017. AFP PHOTO / GLYN KIRKMELBOURNE, Australia — Former Australian Open champion Stan Wawrinka says he’s ready for this year’s tournament beginning next Monday after being sidelined from competitive tennis for six months.Wawrinka hasn’t played since Wimbledon and had left knee surgery in August, forcing him to miss the U.S. Open, where he was defending champion.ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson MOST READ “Happy to be back on the tour and seeing the sun. Still a lot to do but I’m feeling really positive so looking forward to starting,” Wawrinka said Tuesday.Wawrinka, who won 2014 Australian Open, lost in the semifinals last year at Melbourne Park to eventual champion Roger Federer.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkWawrinka is set to join Novak Djokovic, Nick Kyrgios and Lleyton Hewitt in the Tie Break Tens tournament on Wednesday at Margaret Court Arena. Each match is a 10-point tiebreak. Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Draymond Green fined $25,000 by NBA Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments
Deon Brown and Trevon Alleyne appeared before Magistrate Sherdel Isaacs-Marcus on Monday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts to answer to a charge of larceny.It is alleged that between April 26 and 27, 2019 at Lot 104 Regent Road, Bourda, Georgetown, Brown and Alleyne broke and entered the business place of Vivekananda Ramoutar and stole a quantity of items worth $1.2 million.Both men pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to them.The prosecution’s case contended that on April 27, Police ranks, acting on information received, went to the location, where it was discovered that the business had been broken into. Upon investigating, the ranks found the two men on the premises with the articles. They were subsequently arrested.Brown, a 38-year-old mason, of Lot 207 Charlotte Street, Georgetown, told the court he resided next door to the business, in a house with eight other persons. He added that he woke up and four cops were standing over him, asking him for the items he stole, but he said he denied knowledge of the incident. He told the court that the ranks went into the upper flat and brought down a battery and nipper. The man said he was arrested along with the other occupants of the home, but the others were later released, while he remained in custody.Twenty-year-old Alleyne told the court he saw a battery outside and he took it.The Police Prosecutor objected to bail based on the fact that both men were arrested at the scene with the items in their possession.They were remanded to prison, and the case was scheduled to continue on May 2, 2019.