ETU Workers Protest over Benefits

first_imgWorkers of almost all of Liberia’s Ebola Treatment Units (ETUs) have staged a major protest in Monrovia, demanding benefits owed them by the Government of Liberia.The workers, predominantly healthcare practitioners, gathered at the seat of the Liberian legislature early Thursday morning to inform lawmakers about their over four month’s unpaid benefits. According to their spokesperson, Alphonso Wieh, remuneration owed the workers include hazard benefits in the amount of US$5,000 each, as well as three months’ salary arrears.The protesting ETU workers included body baggers, maintenance workers and some members of the burial team from several ETUs run by the Liberian government and its partners in Monrovia.Some of them shouted, “During the heat of the Ebola, we took risk by bagging thirty to thirty-five bodies a day. Now that we survived the danger, why can’t we get our hazard benefits?”“We will continue to stage protests to call public attention until our government can address our plight. We worked along with other international colleagues in these various ETUs and all of them have (been paid) risks and other benefits.  What is wrong with ours that we can’t get payments and benefits,” Wieh said.Government has since termed the protest as a “surprise.” Responding to questions about the protest, Deputy Information Minister for Technical Services Robert Kpadeh said: “We find this as news to us and we will verify that information and properly address it. However, government remains committed to ensuring that workers at all levels are paid what is due them, regardless of status.”Meanwhile, the protest continued into some parts of Monrovia for hours, stalling normal vehicle and human traffic.Liberia is among three West African nations hardest hit by the Ebola virus.  At one point, Liberia was the epi-center of the disease, losing nearly 5000 lives.  However, significant progress has been made by government, partners and the citizens in eradicating the virus from Liberia while affected Guinea and Sierra Leone are still struggling to contain the outbreak.Liberia has gone a little over 21 days without a new case and health experts believe with this path, the nation is gradually moving towards the 42-day mark stipulated by the World Health Organization (WHO) to be declared Ebola free.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Donegal woman who got all-clear diagnosed with cancer nine months later

first_imgA Donegal woman who had regular smear tests as part of the CervicalCheck programme was diagnosed with stage two cancer in Belfast just nine months after believing that she got the all-clear in the Republic.Miriam O’Brien (34), a single mother-of-one from Buncrana, died on August 25, 2013, having been given a terminal prognosis six months before.In the weeks before she died, she told her family: “If anything happens to me, tell the world what they did.” Her family have grave concerns over the care she received up until the time she transferred her care to the North, and are asking the health authorities to clarify if Ms O’Brien is included in the official figures of the 18 women who died after smear tests were misread.Ms O’Brien’s sisters, Danielle Miley and Susan O’Brien, together with her daughter, Rachael O’Brien (19), are taking legal action against the HSE and labs used by CervicalCheck, through solicitor Pat McMyler, of PA Dorrian.One of the defendants is Letterkenny General Hospital and its laboratories, as providers of the CervicalCheck programme, with other defendants being outsourced labs in the US.The case was initiated originally by Ms O’Brien herself, after the Belfast doctor made her aware of alleged failures in her treatment in the Republic. Ms MIley told “She knew she was wronged and we are now carrying on her wish that her story be told.“She felt it shouldn’t be happening to her because she’d done everything right. She had all of the tests, they all came back clear and she never missed an appointment – how was it missed?“We don’t even know if she is part of the CervicalCheck review or is it because she was diagnosed and died in the North, they may be discounting her and if so, that’s not right because all her smears were done here.”The family described how Ms O’Brien had a smear that came back as giving no cause for alarm in June 2011 but in November/December, presented with symptoms to her GP and was referred to the cancer specialist.“She was extremely unwell,” said Susan, explaining that her sister’s symptoms had included severe pain to the extent that she was unable to stand, along with heavy bleeding. In March 2012 she switched to cancer care in the North because she worked across the Border and within three to four weeks of being treated within the NHS system, was diagnosed with stage 2B cervical cancer.For full story see….. woman who got all-clear diagnosed with cancer nine months later was last modified: May 21st, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:buncranaCerbivalCheckcervical cancerdonegalMiriam O’Brienlast_img read more

Police fatally shoot armed woman barricaded in Sunrise apartment

first_imgSUNRISE, FLA. (WSVN) – Authorities are investigating after, they said, an armed woman who had barricaded herself in an apartment in Sunrise was shot and killed by a police officer, Friday night.Just before 4 p.m., Sunrise Police responded to the Water’s Edge Apartments, located at 11025 NW 40th St., regarding an armed woman who was barricaded inside her home alone and threatening to harm herself.The woman’s mother was in contact with her during the situation.Investigators later identified the woman as 28-year-old Kristen Ambury.Once communication with Ambury stopped, a SWAT team attempted to enter the apartment to make sure she hadn’t harmed herself. Officials said she confronted the officers with a firearm.Police fired shots at the woman, shortly before 7:30 p.m.Ambury died at the scene. No officers were injured. It is unclear if the woman had fired at the officers.Officials said Ambury had a history of mental illness and was drinking and taking pills.Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives are investigating the circumstances that led to the fatal shooting.Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.last_img read more