Reuters: U.S. coal plant closures topped 15GW in 2019

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Reuters:U.S. coal-fired power plants shut down at the second-fastest pace on record in 2019, despite President Donald Trump’s efforts to prop up the industry, according to data from the federal government and Thomson Reuters.Power companies retired or converted roughly 15,100 megawatts (MW) of coal-fired electricity generation, enough to power about 15 million homes, according to the data, which included preliminary statistics from the Energy Information Administration and Reuters reporting. That was second only to the record 19,300 MW shut in 2015 during President Barack Obama’s administration.The replacement of coal with power generation from natural gas and renewables has cut total U.S. carbon emissions in four of the past five years. Gas emits about half the carbon dioxide, a leading contributor to global warming, as coal.The coal industry has been in steep decline for a decade due to competition from cheap and abundant gas and subsidized solar and wind energy, along with rising public concern over coal’s contribution to climate change.Trump has downplayed climate change threats and sought to revive the coal industry to fulfill pledges to voters in coal mining states like West Virginia and Wyoming, mainly by rolling back Obama-era environmental protections. Still, since entering office in 2017, an estimated 39,000 MW of coal-fired power plant capacity has shut.If that trend continues, more coal plants will have shut during the first four years (2017-2020) of the Trump administration – an estimated 46,600 MW – than during Obama’s second term (2013-2016) – around 43,100 MW.[Scott DiSavino]More: U.S. coal-fired power plants closing fast despite Trump’s pledge of support for industry Reuters: U.S. coal plant closures topped 15GW in 2019last_img read more

Pardew praise for Tiote talent

first_img The 27-year-old Ivory Coast international turned in a fine individual display in Saturday’s 1-0 victory at Manchester United – the Magpies’ first at Old Trafford in more than 41 years – just as he had done as Pardew’s men defeated the Red Devils 3-0 at St James’ Park in January last year. Tiote has returned to somewhere near his best form in recent weeks after struggling along with many of his team-mates last season, and has been hugely influential in a run of five victories in six league games which has left his club just three points off a Champions League place. Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has cited Cheick Tiote’s ability to mix it with the best as a major factor in the club’s surge up the Barclays Premier League table. Press Association He said: “It’s been good for him because he has made himself stronger in the gym and he’s had a little bit more time to reflect on some performances last year, where I think he struggled a little bit. “This year, you have to pay tribute to him because he has been a lot, lot better and he is pushing for a place. “I would expect him to get 20, 25 appearances this year and for a second year at a big club, that’s a good start.” Asked if Anita would be asked to fill Cabaye’s sizeable boots this weekend, the manager said: “I don’t think there’s any questionable doubt that he will start.” Pardew, of course, will go head-to-head with one of his former clubs when the Saints arrive on Tyneside, and while he still feels aggrieved about his untimely exit in August 2010, he is looking forward to renewing acquaintances with some of the players with whom he worked, and in particular with newly-capped England international striker Rickie Lambert. Pardew, who worked with late bloomer Lambert in League One, said: “I didn’t even become a professional until I was 26, so I am one of those people who always has hope for players because obviously, it came late to me. “Rickie has certainly surpassed my career with what he has done, and long may that continue. “He’s got real class and technical ability, and it was only his mobility and fitness, probably, that held him back. He managed to address those and at the minute, he looks in great shape.” The midfield enforcer’s resurgence coincided with Pardew’s decision to hand him the captain’s armband in the absence of the injured Fabricio Coloccini, but it has shown no signs of waning since the Argentinian’s return. Pardew said: “I can reflect on the two Manchester United games – the 3-0 was the best performance he ever gave this football club, closely followed by that performance [on Saturday], so he can do it against the top clubs. “When we drew 4-4 with Arsenal, that day he was unbelievable, so he has had some big, big games for us, don’t forget about that. “He is playing very well, though. I was very reluctant to take the captaincy from him after he did so well with it. But he has proved to me irrespective of whether he wears the armband or not, he is brilliant.” If Tiote has been the midfield rock upon which Newcastle’s improvement has been based, the man in front of him has been no less influential. France international Yohan Cabaye scored the winner at Old Trafford to further underline his talent, although the yellow card he collected means he will be missing as Newcastle attempt to extend their run of three home victories against Southampton on Saturday. Cabaye’s absence could mean a pivotal role for Dutchman Vurnon Anita, who was drafted into the side for the United game and did not let his manager down. The 24-year-old former Ajax midfielder has had to remain patient since his £6.7million switch to St James’ in August 2012, but Pardew has kept a close eye on his development and is confident he can do a job for him. last_img read more

Mason City man accused of throwing knives at police who responded to domestic disturbance

first_imgMASON CITY — A Mason City man is in jail after he allegedly threw knives at police officers responding to a domestic disturbance.Police were called Sunday night to 1017 1st Northeast, where on arrival the suspect started to threaten officers with large knives, which were thrown at the officers as they attempted to arrest him. The knives missed the officers by a couple of feet.35-year-old Joshua Martin allegedly hit a woman on the face inside the residence and then grabbed her throat.Martin was taken into custody and charged with two counts of assault on persons in certain occupations with a dangerous weapon, domestic abuse assault impeding the flow of air or blood, and interference with official acts.He’s being held in the Cerro Gordo County Jail on $10,000 bond.last_img read more