…Police analysing new piece of evidenceAlmost five months after School of the Nation’s Director, Dr Bryan O’Toole was shot in his driveway in the wake of threats against his school, Police have since identified at least three “persons of interest”.Police Commissioner Leslie James (left), with School of the Nations Principal Dr Brian O’TooleIn addition, new evidence has found its way into the hands of the police, which will have to be further analysed. This is according to Police Commissioner Leslie James, who was at the time speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, hosted jointly by O’Toole and himself.However, James also revealed to the media that out of these three ‘persons of interest’, at least two have left the jurisdiction with one currently in the United States (US) and the other in an unidentified location.O’Toole noted that he did describe a possible shooter to the police. However, he said that police showed him documents showing that the individual had left the country, with James affirming that the person left the country since December 15 of last year and did not return. O’Toole maintained that he did not know the shooter personally.“We’re basically dealing with information passed to us by Dr O’Toole. He’s just given an explanation about what he saw and how his mind was operating,” James said. “What I can say, based on the information given to us, we took certain steps. We checked our internal records.”“And based on our checks, it revealed that the individual was out of the jurisdiction based on the documents that we perused. There were at least two persons we were looking at. It’s now three. This information, we’ve shared with our counterparts in the US and no stone is being left unturned in this matter.”James declined to identify who these ‘persons of interest’ are. He also did not confirm or deny that they were connected to prominent individuals in Guyana’s society, something that had been reported in sections of the media.EvidenceJames also related that Dr O’Toole has since provided the police with an audio recording of a person of interest who may have useful information for the police investigation. According to O’Toole, the recording was made weeks ago.“Dr O’Toole provided to us an audio recording. That, of course, will have to be analysed. Only yesterday it was given to us, yesterday being April 29,” James told the media. Asked about the Police Force’s capacity to analyse the recording, James declined to entertain the question.O’Toole stressed, however, that the US has to do its part in terms of helping with the investigation as the persons of interest are in that country.On January 27, O’Toole was shot three times as he was returning to his Bel Air, Georgetown residence, hours after an emergency meeting with parents and guardians about violent threats on social media to injure students and teachers of that school.
Participating in the walk-outs could exclude students from end-of-the-year events in the Whittier Union High School District, officials said. Superintendent Sandra Thorstenson said the district is doing “everything appropriate and necessary to ensure that students are in class, prepared to learn in a safe, supervised environment.” Students who are not in class will be cited for truancy and taken back to their home schools, officials said. Consequences for truancy include detention and Saturday school, as well as “suspension of privileges and revocation of a student’s opportunity to participate in school-sponsored activities and events,” Thorstenson said. That could mean no prom for high-school juniors and seniors, since schools now require certain attendance and grade-point average requirements for those events. Montebello Unified School District officials said they sent letters to principals for distribution to parents that warned of the possible walk-outs. The apparent lack of interest by local students in this year’s marches was contrasted by the massive success of last year’s protests, which drew more than half a million people, including 72,000 Los Angeles students. Wire reports contributed to this story. email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2306 (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3051 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Sheriff’s Sgt. Craig Harman of the Norwalk station said on the recent Cesar Chavez Day, authorities went so far as to set up a command post but “nothing materialized on that. “We don’t anticipate any specific problems, as far as our intelligence has indicated, at this point,” Harman added. Whittier police Officer Diana Salazar said students who aren’t in class will be cited for daytime curfew laws and will be required to make a juvenile court appearance with a parent, as well as pay a $165 fine. Schools also have a financial stake in keeping the students in the classroom. State Superintendent Jack O’Connell sent letters to all school districts warning that schools excusing students for the protests would lose attendance funding, which translates to about $30 per day, per student. “I encourage all California students to honor the struggles of immigrant parents by working hard in school on May 1st and every day of the school year,” said O’Connell in a statement. WHITTIER – Local school districts and police are gearing up for possible student walkouts today, as activists organize two rallies in downtown Los Angeles to commemorate last year’s massive pro-immigrant marches. Organizers expect today’s rallies – to be held at the L.A. Civic Center and at MacArthur Park – will draw more than 100,000 people. But Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa predicted only about 20,000 will attend the events, which will nonetheless lead to the closure of more than a dozen downtown streets and the rerouting of 60 bus lines. Whittier-area school and police officials said they have not received any indications of an exodus of students from the area. But all say there are emergency operations procedures in place to cover any possible unrest. “At the two main school districts we cover, we’ve not heard that students are going to walk out at all,” said sheriff’s Sgt. Eric Barron of the Pico Rivera station.