Participating in the walk-outs could exclude students from end-of-the-year events in the Whittier Union High School District, officials said. Superintendent Sandra Thorstenson said the district is doing “everything appropriate and necessary to ensure that students are in class, prepared to learn in a safe, supervised environment.” Students who are not in class will be cited for truancy and taken back to their home schools, officials said. Consequences for truancy include detention and Saturday school, as well as “suspension of privileges and revocation of a student’s opportunity to participate in school-sponsored activities and events,” Thorstenson said. That could mean no prom for high-school juniors and seniors, since schools now require certain attendance and grade-point average requirements for those events. Montebello Unified School District officials said they sent letters to principals for distribution to parents that warned of the possible walk-outs. The apparent lack of interest by local students in this year’s marches was contrasted by the massive success of last year’s protests, which drew more than half a million people, including 72,000 Los Angeles students. Wire reports contributed to this story. email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2306 (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3051 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Sheriff’s Sgt. Craig Harman of the Norwalk station said on the recent Cesar Chavez Day, authorities went so far as to set up a command post but “nothing materialized on that. “We don’t anticipate any specific problems, as far as our intelligence has indicated, at this point,” Harman added. Whittier police Officer Diana Salazar said students who aren’t in class will be cited for daytime curfew laws and will be required to make a juvenile court appearance with a parent, as well as pay a $165 fine. Schools also have a financial stake in keeping the students in the classroom. State Superintendent Jack O’Connell sent letters to all school districts warning that schools excusing students for the protests would lose attendance funding, which translates to about $30 per day, per student. “I encourage all California students to honor the struggles of immigrant parents by working hard in school on May 1st and every day of the school year,” said O’Connell in a statement. WHITTIER – Local school districts and police are gearing up for possible student walkouts today, as activists organize two rallies in downtown Los Angeles to commemorate last year’s massive pro-immigrant marches. Organizers expect today’s rallies – to be held at the L.A. Civic Center and at MacArthur Park – will draw more than 100,000 people. But Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa predicted only about 20,000 will attend the events, which will nonetheless lead to the closure of more than a dozen downtown streets and the rerouting of 60 bus lines. Whittier-area school and police officials said they have not received any indications of an exodus of students from the area. But all say there are emergency operations procedures in place to cover any possible unrest. “At the two main school districts we cover, we’ve not heard that students are going to walk out at all,” said sheriff’s Sgt. Eric Barron of the Pico Rivera station.
1 John Carver Newcastle United have rubbished suggestions they have sacked John Carver – but admitted ‘frank’ discussions have taken place.The Magpies put in a woeful display during the 3-0 Premier League defeat to Leicester City on Saturday, leading some to suggest the 50-year-old could be set for the chop.Derby County boss Steve McClaren had been linked with the St James’ Park top job, with some reports even claiming the former England manager may take over before the end of the season.But the club have moved to quash those suggestions – and have backed Carver for the remaining three games of the campaign.A statement read: “Following the result at Leicester City on Saturday, there has been two days of frank dialogue with John Carver and senior players.“The outcome of those discussions is that the board, John Carver, his staff and players are absolutely focused on our current situation and the three hugely-important fixtures that remain this season, two of which are at St. James’ Park.“All parties accept responsibility for the current situation but are determined, together, to ensure this Club – your Club – retains its Premier League status.“That is the only focus at this time.”