Jul 7, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – Spain today became the latest country to join the list of nations responding to outbreaks of H5N1 avian influenza, as officials reported finding the virus in a wild bird.In a report to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE), Spanish officials said highly pathogenic H5N1 strain had been confirmed in a sample taken from a great crested grebe that was found dead Jun 30 in the Salburua wetlands in Alava province. The diagnosis was established by the Central Veterinary Laboratory in Algete.To control the outbreak, a 3-kilometer protection zone around the site has been established, and surveillance will be conducted within 10 km. Authorities have banned movement of poultry and hunting of wild birds within the zone and are monitoring natural areas for any further bird deaths.Spain is the 14th European Union member to report H5N1 avian flu in birds, on the basis of information from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.An outbreak of avian influenza is a particular concern in Spain because, according to a Bloomberg News report today on the outbreak, Spain is Europe’s biggest tourist destination.In other avian flu developments this week:Canadian authorities reported that final virological tests on samples from a dead gosling were negative.The OIE announced that avian influenza had recurred among ostriches in South Africa.Thailand said it hoped to be free of avian influenza in 3 years.Canada ends testing of Prince Edward Island birdsThe Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) announced Jul 5 that further testing related to a suspected H5 avian flu outbreak in Prince Edward Island had revealed no evidence of the virus.Authorities had announced Jun 16 that preliminary tests had indicated an H5 virus in a gosling, one of four birds that had died in a backyard flock. The positive test led authorities to destroy the rest of the flock and raised concern about the threat of H5N1 spreading to North America. But officials reported on Jun 20 that further tests at Canada’s avian flu reference laboratory in Winnipeg, Man., were negative.In the latest announcement, the CFIA said attempts to culture the virus from samples from the gosling had failed. The agency said testing was finished, and a quarantine on the affected site was lifted.South African ostriches have H5N2 virusAn H5N2 strain of avian flu has been confirmed on an ostrich farm in South Africa, according to a report that officials filed with the OIE. The virus was identified Jul 1 in eight ostriches on the farm in Riversdale, Western Cape province.In his notice to the OIE, South Africa’s senior manager of animal health, Bothe Modisane, said surveillance indicated that the outbreak was probably limited to the farm where the disease was detected. He reported that the farm was quarantined and that all 58 ostriches there were destroyed on Jul 1. Culling of all other poultry on the farm was completed on Jul 3. The source of the infection was not known.In 2004, a similar outbreak of H5N2 in ostriches stopped all poultry exports from South Africa. That outbreak killed 2,000 ostriches on two farms, and officials planned to destroy 6,000 remaining ostriches on the farms.Highly pathogenic strains of H5N2 virus have caused a number of past outbreaks in birds, though none in humans. H5N2 viruses were blamed for outbreaks in Pennsylvania (1983-85), Mexico (1994-95), Italy (1997), Texas (2004), and South Africa (2004), according to the World Health Organization. In addition, Japan had H5N2 outbreaks in poultry in 2005.Thai official offers optimistic projectionThailand’s agriculture minister said yesterday the country hopes to be completely free of avian influenza virus in 3 years. The Thai official, Sudarat Keyuraphan, told Agence France Presse (AFP) that the country has gone 239 days without an outbreak.”If we are able to control the virus for the rest of this year, we will have fewer worries next year, and I am confident that Thailand will be free from the bird flu virus within three years,” Keyuraphan told AFP. She said the 239-day outbreak-free stretch is notable, given that surrounding countries continue to report the disease.According to the AFP report, Thailand has recruited 900,000 volunteers to help with prevention efforts, including regularly spraying disinfectant around poultry farms.In May 2005, Thai officials declared the country free of the H5N1 virus, but more poultry outbreaks were reported the following July, and new human cases emerged in the fall.See also:Jul 7 OIE report on avian influenza in Spainhttp://www.oie.int/downld/AVIAN%20INFLUENZA/A2006_AI.phpJun 21 CIDRAP News article “Further tests show no avian flu in Canadian flock”Jul 3 OIE report on avian influenza in South Africahttp://www.oie.int/downld/AVIAN%20INFLUENZA/A2006_AI.phpAug 6, 2004, CIDRAP News article “Avian flu hits ostriches in South Africa”May 5, 2005, CIDRAP News article on Thailand’s avian flu battlehttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/avianflu/news/may0505avflu.html
The pool at Breeze apartments. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus18 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market18 hours agoA render of Breeze ApartmentsDirector Kim Pradella said the development was a perfect example of the new lifestyle opportunity attracting younger couples and families back to Brisbane’s inner south. “Riverside Precinct is actually our 18th project in the 4101 postcode,” he said. The living space inside one of the units at Breeze ApartmentsMr Pradella said the Breeze apartments were spacious and bright, featuring open plan designs, large balconies and stylish fixtures and fittings. “Outside, there is an amazing rooftop skygarden terrace with a 20-metre lap pool and landscaped entertaining areas suitable for residents of all ages,” he said.Census data shows the average age of a West End resident was 34 in 2016, with 2132 families calling the suburb home. A kitchen at Breeze ApartmentsYoung couples and families are leading the surge in demand for new apartments in Brisbane’s inner ring, according to new research.Planning and advisory group Urbis has revealed the shift from traditional housing to apartment living was being driven by changing lifestyles and affordability, and it was opening up some of the city’s most expensive suburbs.The Urbis research noted the changing buyer demographic and the affordability gap between houses and apartments as key drivers in the West End market, in particular.“The median apartment price for West End in the December quarter was $523,000 compared with the median house price of $900,000,” Urbis property economics and research director Paul Riga said. “This creates a $377,000 affordability gap, so it’s understandable that demand for West End apartments has remained strong and young residents are making their presence felt.”But more recent data shows the affordability gap has widened even further. CoreLogic data shows the median house sales price in West End has hit $1.048 million. For a unit, the median sales price is $548,750.One development reaping the rewards is the Breeze Apartments, one part of Pradella’s wider 5.3ha masterplanned community.
Mrs. Ethel Irene (Francis) Claypoole, age 83, of Florence, Kentucky, entered this life on January 6, 1933, in Brown County, Ohio, the loving daughter of the late, Robert Cecil and Alma Ethel (Gaffin) Francis. She was raised in Hamersville, Ohio where she was a 1952 graduate of Hamersville High School. Ethel was united in marriage on February 21, 1953, in Brookville, Kentucky, to the late, Wayne Taylor Claypoole and to this union arrived four sons, Kenneth, Thurman, George and John and five daughters, Frances, Barbara, Roberta, Ruth and Norma to bless their home. Ethel and Wayne shared 43 loving years of marriage together until Wayne passed away on February 22, 1996. Ethel was a former line worker for the US Shoe Factory in Vevay, Indiana, for several years. She was also employed for the Barrell Factory in Vevay, Indiana, for 1 year and for Coney Island in Cincinnati, Ohio. She was baptized at the Spring Branch Baptist Church in Switzerland County, Indiana. Ethel resided in the Switzerland County community since 1967. Ethel was a wonderful homemaker and will be dearly missed by her loving family. Ethel passed away at 8:42 am, Monday, December 12, 2016, at her residence in Florence, Kentucky.Ethel will be dearly missed by her sons: Kenneth Claypoole of St. Paul, IN, Thurman Claypoole of Vevay, IN, George Claypoole and his wife: Lisa of Florence, IN and John Claypoole and his wife: Tammy of Patriot, IN; her daughters: Frances Cochran of Patriot, IN, Barbara Gurley of Rising Sun, IN, Roberta McKay and her husband: Russell of Patriot, IN, Ruth Rose and her husband: Dale of Patriot, IN and Norma Montgomery and her husband: Rob of East Enterprise, IN; her 22-grandchildren: Braden Claypoole, Andrea Claypoole, Tiffany Claypoole, Caleb Claypoole, Tara Romans, Jeremy Romans, Timmy Gurley Lewis, Terry Gurley Lewis, Dale Rose, Jr., Jenna Felts, Wayne Cochran, Cody Cochran, Kacey Claypoole, Lacey White, Abbey Hahn, Chelsea Claypoole, Johnny Claypoole, Rusty McKay, Zack McKay, Brandi Lewis, Brady Lewis and Berry Montgomery; her 32-great-grandchildren and her great-great-grandchild.She was preceded in death by her parents: Robert Cecil and Alma Ethel (Gaffin) Francis; her husband: Wayne Taylor Claypoole, died February 22, 1996; her sons-in-law: Timothy Joe Gurley and Frank Ervin Cochran, Jr.; her grandson: Justin William Claypoole; her great-granddaughter: Anna Marissa Montgomery; her sisters: Phyllis Francis, Bonnie Clifton, Janice Forbes, Eloise Yockey and Betty Hampton.Funeral services will be conducted Thursday, December 15, 2016, at 7:00 pm, by Rev. Mike Jones at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home, 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043.Graveside Services and Interment will be conducted at 1:00 pm, Friday, December 16, 2016 at the Rose Hill Cemetery, Feesburg, OhioFriends may call 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Thursday, December 15, 2016, at the Haskell & Morrison Funeral Home 208 Ferry Street Vevay, Indiana 47043.Memorial contributions may be made to Charity of the Donor’s Choice. Cards are available at the funeral home.
USAIN Bolt has confirmed he will run the 100m and 4x100m relay at the World Championships in London in August, his final event before retiring.Bolt, an eight-time Olympic gold medallist and an icon of world sport, has led one of the most illustrious careers in the history of athletics.“My aim is to win in London. I want to retire on a winning note,” the Jamaican 30-year-old said yesterday.The World Championships take place from August 4-13.The men’s 100m final is due to place on Saturday, August 5 while the men’s 4x100m relay race – which will mark the end of Bolt’s career – takes place the following Saturday.Bolt has won the 100m, 200m and 4x100m gold at the past three Olympic Games – Beijing 2008, London 2012 and Rio 2016.However, his unprecedented ‘triple triple’ of nine gold medals was downgraded to eight after Jamaican team-mate Nesta Carter, who was part of the quartet that won the 4x100m in Beijing, tested positive for a banned substance. Carter has appealed against the decision.Nevertheless, Bolt’s exploits remain unprecedented and he also holds the world record in the 100m (9.58) and 200m (19.19).In June he raced for the final time on home soil, clocking 10.03 seconds to win the ‘Salute a Legend’ 100m race before taking a lap of honour in front of a sell-out Kingston crowd of 30 000.Before London, he will also compete in the 100m at the Diamond League event in Monaco tomorrow. (BBC Sport)
After nearly two years of near-riots and expletive-laden tirades, the most heavily hyped fight in the history of Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship took place at BKFC 6 when Artem Lobov defeated Paulie Malignaggi by unanimous decision.All the animosity that had existed between one of Conor McGregor’s main sparring partners and the former two-division boxing champion looked to be put to be rest. While on the surface, Lobov and Malignaggi appeared to go in different directions after the fight, that hasn’t necessarily been the case for Lobov. The ex-UFC fighter is interested in settling the score once and for all with Malignaggi’s and is looking to prove that he can beat him at his own game. “I walked out with a lot of cash, and I won,” Lobov boastfully told Sporting News about winning the fight. “He got his ass whooped. It felt pretty good to beat him up. But he’s still talking trash, so I would be happy to rematch him in the boxing ring if he wants. I know he thinks boxing is his game, but it’s my game now. He can come into my world.”Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearMalignaggi disparaged Lobov at every turn in the buildup. The current Showtime boxing analyst talked in the lead-up of how facing the former UFC journeyman would be a walk in the park. He also promised to put Lobov in a “f—g coma,” along with proclaiming that he would disparage his lifeless body with bodily fluids after knocking him out. The fact Lobov was able to make Malignaggi eat his words made it the biggest win of his nine-year combat sports career.”It was incredible,” Lobov said. “I can say that was the most satisfying win of my whole career. It just felt good. It was like, ‘Take that mother—-er.’” With Malignaggi now in his rearview mirror, Lobov now turns his attention to a familiar foe when he meets Jason Knight in the main event of Saturday’s Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship 9. Back in April, Lobov and Knight battled in one of the most bloody, violent affairs in recent memory with Lobov earning the unanimous decision win.Even though he emerged victorious on that evening, Lobov is excited to be sharing the ring with Knight again because he loves to fight, and putting his fist to someone’s face is the “most peaceful place on the planet.” When looking back at the first meeting, Lobov found deficiencies in his performance. This time around, the “Russian Hammer” made sure he left no stone unturned, and you will see a completely different person than people saw seven months ago. “Number one, preparing for the first fight, I was doing it blindfolded,” Lobov said. “I didn’t know what to expect because I had never tried it before. I couldn’t train properly because I didn’t know anyone who did bare-knuckle. So my preparation was a little wrong in terms of my cardio work in getting ready for the two-minute rounds. What I was doing was incorrect. I was preparing for a marathon, and the fight was a sprint. I had it all wrong. This time around, I completely changed my preparation. Being able to train nothing but boxing for a full year made me a much better boxer as I brought in professional boxers helped me make a lot of gains. I look forward to showing the world what I’ve been working on.” Lobov entered the world of bare-knuckle fighting on a three-fight losing streak and an overall MMA record of 13-15-1 with one no-contest. Since coming to BKFC in 2019, Lobov is 2-0. A win on Saturday night would put the icing on the cake for the 34-year-old.”With a win on Saturday, this will certainly be the best year of my career in terms of financially and the wins, whichever way you want to look at it,” Lobov said.