Three deaths in Vietnam blamed on avian flu

first_imgEditor’s note: This story was revised Aug 13, 2004, to include additional information from the World Health Organization.Aug 12, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Three people in Vietnam died recently of the H5N1 strain of avian influenza, the Associated Press (AP) reported today.If the report is accurate, the three are the first human victims of avian flu since March. In Asia’s widespread outbreaks earlier this year, the H5N1 virus infected 34 people and killed 23, according to World Health Organization (WHO) figures.The latest victims, two of whom were small children, all tested positive for the H5N1 virus, according to Trinh Quan Huan, head of the Vietnamese Ministry of Health’s Department for Preventative Medicine and HIV/AIDS, as reported by the AP. The three people died between Jul 30 and Aug 1, Trinh said.However, the World Health Organization (WHO) said the strain of virus in the three victims had not been fully identified. Initial tests have identified the virus as the H5 subtype, but further testing is needed to determine if it is H5N1, the WHO said in a statement dated Aug 12. The agency also said H5N1 is the only strain of the H5 subtype known to jump directly from poultry to humans and cause illness.Trinh said a 4-year-old and a 1-year-old died in Ha Tay province about 30 miles west of Hanoi, while the other victim died in Hau Giang province in the Mekong Delta, about 110 miles south of Ho Chi Minh City, the AP reported. The story gave no other details about the third victim and did not say how the patients were infected.Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported yesterday that Vietnamese health officials were investigating whether avian flu or SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) caused the recent deaths of four people who had respiratory infections. Those four died between Jul 29 and Aug 2, but all of them lived in Hau Giang province, according to the story.The AFP report said a clinical sample from one of the four patients was being tested, but no samples were available from the other three deceased patients.According to the AP report, Hans Troedsson, head of the WHO office in Hanoi, said he would ask the Vietnamese government for permission to send samples from the latest case-patients to a foreign laboratory for testing.Avian flu killed 15 people in Vietnam and 8 in Thailand earlier this year, according to WHO figures. But reports attributed to the Vietnamese government have generally listed 16 deaths in Vietnam. Before the recent deaths, the last avian flu–related death in Vietnam was that of a 12-year-old boy in March, according to government sources.All the human cases earlier this year were attributed to exposure to poultry, not to contact with other infected people. Disease experts are concerned that if the H5N1 virus infects a person already carrying a human flu virus, the two viruses could combine and produce a variant that could spread easily from person to person, potentially starting a pandemic.Since late June, avian flu has resurfaced in Thailand, Indonesia, and China as well as Vietnam. Vietnam has had outbreaks in 12 provinces since Mar 30, when the government declared the country was free of the disease, according to AFP.In related developments, South African officials were testing ostriches nationwide in the wake of the recent discovery of H5N2 avian flu on two ostrich farms in the Eastern Cape province, according to another AFP report today.Culling of 6,000 ostriches on the two affected farms was under way, and up to 30,000 ostriches might be slaughtered in the surrounding area, the report said. The H5N2 virus has been described as harmless to humans.The outbreak prompted the South African government to halt all poultry exports last week. The European Union and Switzerland have banned imports of ostrich meat from South Africa, the AFP report said.See also:Aug 12 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2004_08_12/en/last_img read more

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sets contract demands to stay at Arsenal

first_imgAubameyang could leave Arsenal on a free transfer next year (Getty Images)Aubameyang has been in excellent form for Arsenal this season with 20 goals in 31 appearances.AdvertisementAdvertisementReports have claimed that the striker is keen to leave Arsenal in order to play for a club who stand a better chance of winning a major trophy, including the Champions League.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalBut Aubameyang has claimed this week that trophies will not define his career.‘I’m a striker so I will defend my side – I don’t think you need trophies to be a top striker,’ he told Sky Sports.‘Of course, it can help you but we’ve seen a lot of great players that didn’t win trophies but we respect them because of their quality.‘You don’t need to win trophies but if you win it, it’s better.’Follow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 7 Mar 2020 9:46 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link7.9kShares Comment Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is reportedly demanding £300,000 a week to stay at Arsenal (Getty Images)Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is demanding £300,000 a week to stay at Arsenal, according to reports.The 30-year-old will have just a year left on his current contract at the end of the season, which means the Gunners run the risk of losing their top scorer on a free transfer in 2021.According to MailOnline, Arsenal have opened talks with Aubameyang over a new contract.But the report claims that the Gunners are likely to sell the Gabon international this summer as he is requesting a new deal worth £300,000 a week – a 30 per cent increase on his current contract.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang sets contract demands to stay at Arsenal Advertisementlast_img read more