Three deaths in Vietnam blamed on avian flu

first_imgEditor’s note: This story was revised Aug 13, 2004, to include additional information from the World Health Organization.Aug 12, 2004 (CIDRAP News) – Three people in Vietnam died recently of the H5N1 strain of avian influenza, the Associated Press (AP) reported today.If the report is accurate, the three are the first human victims of avian flu since March. In Asia’s widespread outbreaks earlier this year, the H5N1 virus infected 34 people and killed 23, according to World Health Organization (WHO) figures.The latest victims, two of whom were small children, all tested positive for the H5N1 virus, according to Trinh Quan Huan, head of the Vietnamese Ministry of Health’s Department for Preventative Medicine and HIV/AIDS, as reported by the AP. The three people died between Jul 30 and Aug 1, Trinh said.However, the World Health Organization (WHO) said the strain of virus in the three victims had not been fully identified. Initial tests have identified the virus as the H5 subtype, but further testing is needed to determine if it is H5N1, the WHO said in a statement dated Aug 12. The agency also said H5N1 is the only strain of the H5 subtype known to jump directly from poultry to humans and cause illness.Trinh said a 4-year-old and a 1-year-old died in Ha Tay province about 30 miles west of Hanoi, while the other victim died in Hau Giang province in the Mekong Delta, about 110 miles south of Ho Chi Minh City, the AP reported. The story gave no other details about the third victim and did not say how the patients were infected.Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported yesterday that Vietnamese health officials were investigating whether avian flu or SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) caused the recent deaths of four people who had respiratory infections. Those four died between Jul 29 and Aug 2, but all of them lived in Hau Giang province, according to the story.The AFP report said a clinical sample from one of the four patients was being tested, but no samples were available from the other three deceased patients.According to the AP report, Hans Troedsson, head of the WHO office in Hanoi, said he would ask the Vietnamese government for permission to send samples from the latest case-patients to a foreign laboratory for testing.Avian flu killed 15 people in Vietnam and 8 in Thailand earlier this year, according to WHO figures. But reports attributed to the Vietnamese government have generally listed 16 deaths in Vietnam. Before the recent deaths, the last avian flu–related death in Vietnam was that of a 12-year-old boy in March, according to government sources.All the human cases earlier this year were attributed to exposure to poultry, not to contact with other infected people. Disease experts are concerned that if the H5N1 virus infects a person already carrying a human flu virus, the two viruses could combine and produce a variant that could spread easily from person to person, potentially starting a pandemic.Since late June, avian flu has resurfaced in Thailand, Indonesia, and China as well as Vietnam. Vietnam has had outbreaks in 12 provinces since Mar 30, when the government declared the country was free of the disease, according to AFP.In related developments, South African officials were testing ostriches nationwide in the wake of the recent discovery of H5N2 avian flu on two ostrich farms in the Eastern Cape province, according to another AFP report today.Culling of 6,000 ostriches on the two affected farms was under way, and up to 30,000 ostriches might be slaughtered in the surrounding area, the report said. The H5N2 virus has been described as harmless to humans.The outbreak prompted the South African government to halt all poultry exports last week. The European Union and Switzerland have banned imports of ostrich meat from South Africa, the AFP report said.See also:Aug 12 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2004_08_12/en/last_img read more

HEALTH HAZARD: DOH warns of adverse health effects from oil spill

first_imgAccording to Sta. Lucia, the top three leading causes of health complaints in evacuation centers were difficulty of breathing, nasal congestion and sore throat. ILOILO City – Harsh fumes from the bunker fuel that spilled from a power barge in Barangay Bo. Obrero, Lapuz district pose serious health threats, the Department of Health (DOH) Center for Health Development in Western Visayas cautioned coastal residents adversely affected by the July 3 oil spill. * Consult the doctor if symptoms do not improve * Nasal irritation and nausea may be experience To ensure health and nutrition of affected residents, the DOH-6 also forwarded recommendations to the City Health Office. These were the following: * Pregnancy tests kit should be made available * Stay away from the area when you see or smell oil on the beach * Anticipation and management of communicable diseases * Prolonged contact may cause skin reddening, edema and burning For adolescents   * Provide flu vaccination * Good hygiene practices * Regular check-ups for senior –BP blood, sugar check-up The latest Philippine Coast Guard estimate of the volume of bunker oil that spilled out of the ruptured tank of AC Energy’s power barge in Bo. Obrero was at 251,000 liters, reaching as far as Guimaras’ coastal barangays and the northern coastal towns of Leganes and Dumangas in Iloilo province. * Ensure ready emergency transport vehicle * Ensure prepositioning of family planning commodities * Stays indoors in an air-conditioned area and avoid strenuous outdoor activity * Restrict movement outside * Do not use oil-contaminated water for human or animal consumption * wear protective gear like gowns, gloves, boots and goggles For women with partners but are not pregnant * Prevention of abuse * Ensure adequate lighting * Effects on skin may worsen by subsequent exposure to UV rays from the sun * Separate toilets and bath for boys and girls or 1 room per family * Ensure safety from abuse or rape * Informed consent and volunteerism when counseling and providing family planning methods * Do not fish in oil spill-affected waters The DOH-6 also presented ways to cope up with the oil spill. These were the following: * Ensure their pre-natal package is provided For senior citizens * Injury prevention for children-adult supervision at all times * Do not eat fish, shellfish and other seafood from the area with oily residue or fish that has petroleum odor For Children These residents of Barangay Bo. Obrero, Lapuz, Iloilo City help in the cleanup operation of the oil spill from Power Barge 102. Prolonged exposure the spilled bunker oil may bring adverse health effects, the Department of Health warns. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN For responders and clean-u workers: These 255 families were made up of 931 individuals who temporarily moved to four evacuation centers. Sta. Lucia urged the public to avoid eating fish, shellfish and other seafood from areas with oily residue or seafood with petroleum odor. * Repeated exposure may cause upper respiratory tract conditions * Avoid contact with sediment, sand, soil, or outdoor/indoor surfaces with visible oil contamination According to Sta. Lucia, adverse health effects from harsh fumes of spilled bunker oil can be avoided if warnings are diligently heeded For infants * Provision of malong to mothers * Set-up a safe space by setting up a women and child protection desk (to be coordinated with PNP) * Prevent pets from entering oil-contaminated areas As of July 8, the number of families in Barangay Bo. Obrero adversely affected by the oil spill reached 255, according to the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO). * Acute inhalation may lead to euphoria, vertigo, headache and chest pain Sta. Lucia listed negative health effects of spilled bunker oil. These were the following: * dispose used gloves properly For pregnant women   * Wash skin which has come in contact with oil-contaminated water, with soap and water * Do not swim in areas affected by the oil spill * If possible pregnant women should have another venue where they can be protected from COVID-19 * If possible senior citizens to be accommodated on lower floor to prevent falls from stairs an slipping from wet area * Remind seniors on their maintenance medicines “Affected families and individuals in Bo. Obrero and nearby areas are advised to stay away from the area especially if oil is evident,” according to Dr. May Ann Soliva-Sta. Lucia, head of DOH-6’s health emergency management staff. * Triage, check exposure, database immunization review at heath center * Immunization * wash oiled clothing and goggles after each clean-up operation She assured health protocols such as physical distancing are enforced in evacuation centers to prevent transmission of coronavirus disease 2019./PNlast_img read more

Fortier: Syracuse and Boeheim cannot afford to squander any advantages

first_imgAt his postgame press conference after losing to Notre Dame on Saturday afternoon, a reporter asked Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim if he was concerned that his team, on its home floor, could not beat the Fighting Irish without their two best players. He squinted his eyes and shook his head.“I don’t care who they have,” Boeheim said.Boeheim should care.Personnel matters, and the Atlantic Coast Conference is unforgiving because of its quality and depth. Boeheim has said it himself as much as anyone.“This league is a tremendous challenge,” he said Saturday.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThis game was supposed to be a rare easier win. Notre Dame’s two best players, point guard Matt Farrell and big man Bonzie Colson, were out with a sprained left ankle and a broken left foot, respectively. Colson, the preseason ACC player of the year and third-best player in college basketball, according to Kenpom.com, will miss about eight weeks. This game should have been a win to pad Syracuse’s ACC record for a tough run through the rest of the conference.Still, in the final seconds, with Tyus Battle dribbling at the top of the key and the shot-clock turned off in a tie game, Syracuse still seemed poised to complete a comeback it should have never needed to make. But Battle fumbled and Notre Dame (13-3, 3-0 Atlantic Coast) stunned Syracuse (12-4, 1-2), 51-49, with a Rex Pflueger game-winning putback.As the ball went in, Battle froze, only able to put his hands on the top of his head. Point guard Frank Howard then tried a half-court buzzer-beater but it fell short. Everyone else traipsed toward the bench.With Notre Dame shorthanded, Syracuse needed to cash in or its NCAA Tournament chances would slip. Now, with a slimmer margin for error, SU needs to convert on any potential similar advantages in the future.When Boeheim was asked the question, he answered it more concerned with pointing out why Syracuse lost — “Our offense is the problem” — than addressing something he couldn’t control. That’s fair, but without its two stars, Notre Dame shuffled its lineup and Syracuse saw senior Austin Torres and freshman D.J. Harvey make their first and second starts of the season, respectively. UND also complemented Torres with sophomore John Mooney. This means, instead of Farrell and Colson, Syracuse faced those three, who combined to shoot 4-for-21 (19 percent) for eight points.Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey understood the victory’s gravity. Brey began his postgame press conference by saying, unprompted, “I’ve been at Notre Dame 18 years, I’ve had a lot of great wins, this is as good as a win (as any of them) given that I’ve got Bonzie Colson and Matt Farrell sitting back in their apartment in South Bend, Indiana.”In his career, Brey has won three regular-season conference titles, three conference-tournament titles and, in 2015 and 2016, he made back-to-back trips to the Elite Eight. Brey grouped this January road win early in ACC play among those, because of his personnel.The Fighting Irish are likely headed to the NCAA Tournament anyway, but without its star for a long stretch, the Fighting Irish needs to cushion themselves by snagging as many ACC wins as possible. The win also allowed UND to scribble a valuable line on its resume: “Comeback win on the road over one of the sport’s greatest coaches down our two best players.”Considering the Orange’s own players only heightens the importance of a victory over Notre Dame. As Boeheim has acknowledged, Syracuse only has three scorers in Battle, Howard and Brissett, all three of which lead the ACC in minutes played. Boeheim has always preferred short rotations, but the workloads for this Syracuse trio are different than many primary scoring options for past teams because of the high-leverage situations an ineffective half-court offense forces them into.The overall demand will only increase. In 10 of Syracuse’s 15 remaining games, it will face a team ranked in the top quartile for defensive efficiency this season, according to Kenpom.com. In six of those games, the Orange will face a defense ranked inside the top 20. Boeheim and the players, by their postgame comments at least, seem unsure of how best to address Syracuse’s offensive woes.In the meantime, Syracuse needs to exploit any edge it can find, including any unforeseen personnel switches that throws an opponent off-balance.Before this season started, Boeheim was asked about last year’s team that, after a rocky start, strung together three Top 10 upsets in a month toward the end of the season but still missed the NCAA Tournament.“We lost games early in the year that we couldn’t lose,” Boeheim said, “but after that, we were a real good basketball team.”The same sentiment holds true this season in ACC play. Syracuse needs to win the games it should. Notre Dame was one of those games, but there’s nothing anyone can do about it now.Instead Syracuse must find its next advantage and, this time, capitalize.Sam Fortier is a Senior Staff Writer at The Daily Orange where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at sjfortie@syr.edu or @Sam4TR. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 7, 2018 at 11:28 pmlast_img read more